How do I compare the value of a scanned barcode from my stored barcodes?

Hi guys! Please help me out of this situation I'm running in to. I am using Manatee Works Barcode Scanner, and currently using their trial License Key. I would like to ask for a help if how can I compare the scanned value of the barcode from my stored barcodes to see if that scanned value is in the list of my valid barcodes to be accepted. I managed to understand how to determine the value of the scanned barcode yet I'm really having a hard time analyzing if how am I going to compare it from my valid barcode values.

Answers

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

to see if that scanned value is in the list of my valid barcodes

if (MyBarcodeCollection.Contains(RecentlyScannedBarcode) YippySkippy();

• JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity mod

@jaYCee.1750 - This appears to have nothing to do with Xamarin.Forms . For general C# questions, rather than questions related to Xamarin, please use StackOverflow instead of this forum.

While I agree its a general C# question... I would also point out that Xamarin University has a general C# learning track. Seeing as Xamarin University is flat-rate it would be really good value to enroll and start at the very beginning. First learn C#, then work on Xamarin.Forms track. A couple hundred hours spent _learning first+ will save you thousands of hour trying to reverse-engineer an understanding of the foundation concepts you need to know.

@ClintStLaurent - Completely agree re. the Xamarin.University C# classes. But this is still the wrong place for the question :-)

@JohnHardman said:
    @ClintStLaurent - Completely agree re. the Xamarin.University C# classes. But this is still the wrong place for the question :-)

You're not wrong. Then again about 40% of the questions here are not Xamarin specific. So many of the questions are either on basic C# or on general MVVM pattern (why doesn't my binding work) which is not Xamarin specific. I gave up on trying to tell those people that they needed to take some time to learn first because I got tired of getting my comments tagged as "abuse".

• JohnHJohnH GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@ClintStLaurent said:

I gave up on trying to tell those people that they needed to take some time to learn first because I got tired of getting my comments tagged as "abuse".

That literally just happened to me, you make a suggestion to help someone, they don't like the answer and they flag your post as abuse. Never happened to me before, Ive been on these forums since it was first created!

I've never once told someone they shouldn't be a coder... they were stupid... called someone names... Nothing that a normal person would even think of as 'abuse'.

I have however suggested that people might like to work through tutorials, take a couple classes to grasp the foundation principles, actually work the "quick start walk through" projects... maybe learn C# before trying to architect a solution from scratch... You know... learn before you call yourself a developer. And basically because I said something other than "Here let me do your coding for you" my profile now looks like this.

Because of that I now just generally don't bother answering any thread that looks like some student or intern that hasn't opened a C# book. I think its a shame that they may not get any help... but it sure feels like most of that ilk can't handle constructive suggestion they can't copy/paste into their project.

• NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University mod

I got flagged for abuse for actually posting code to try and help someone..... :smile:

https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/comment/252997#Comment_252997

I suspect some people confuse Flag and Bookmark.

@JohnHardman said:
    I suspect some people confuse Flag and Bookmark.

But it drops down a menu... You have to mean to choose abuse.

Wow. Not sure I've ever seen that. Yeap, that's not one to happen by accident.

• jaYCee.1750jaYCee.1750 USMember ✭✭

@JohnHardman , yeah, I have posted a question with regards to this also, however for someone who's looking for more and broader answers, I posted this question to where it may fit. I can see that it still fits in here since I am developing an application using Xamarin. This can't be wrong wrong I guess if I am just looking for an answer to places where I know someone could lend a help, right? Just like @ClintStLaurent . Thanks for the response though. :-)

I posted this question to where it may fit. I can see that it still fits in here since I am developing an application using Xamarin. This can't be wrong wrong I

Well... This is supposed to be a site for Xamarin problems and and answers. There are 100,000 sites for general coding questions in all the various languages - which really is what your question more closely fits. Saying that you're doing it in a Xamarin app doesn't make it a Xamarin question. Making out with your girlfriend in the backseat of your pickup doesn't mean you should post contraception questions on the Dodge Truck forum - just because you're doing it in a truck.

Flooding this site with a million general C# posts that could be better handled on DreamInCode.net or StackOverflow.com would water down the site to the point of being almost useless for the actual Xamarin-specific posts people can't find help for elsewhere.

Just like @ClintStLaurent .

To be clear... I wasn't saying this was the right site, or even an okay site, for this question. I said I was tired of fighting it. Tired of the rookies banging my profile with abuse flags, because I wouldn't answer their question that belonged elsewhere and suggesting they open a C# book before trying to become an application architect.

• seanydaseanyda GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017

@ClintStLaurent said:
    Making out with your girlfriend in the backseat of your pickup doesn't mean you should post contraception questions on the Dodge Truck forum - just because you're doing it in a truck.

I like what you did there :D But I had an abuse flag on one of my posts which shouldn't have been marked as abuse and David removed it for me, so might be worth shooting him a PM.