Forum Xamarin.Forms

distance between two coordinates using geocoder

bageegbageeg SDMember ✭✭

I get coordinates for to address using geocoder and i want to calculate the distance between the two address in kilometers

Best Answer

• bageegbageeg SDMember ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

thank you too much for help, Unfortunately I dont know how do to that because I am still new in xamarin, If anyone help me to edit my code correctly its a great help, thank again

Answers

• CharllieACharllieA USMember ✭✭
    edited September 2017

Google API can provide it. Or you can compute it app side with less precision. With a such library or another one PCL compatible if it's not : https://github.com/karl-sjogren/Shorthand.Geodesy

• N_BauaN_Baua INMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@bageeg ,

Follow the MSDN for C# code

Sample Code can be

var FromLocA = new GeoCoordinate(sLatitude, sLongitude);
    var ToLocB = new GeoCoordinate(eLatitude, eLongitude);
    return FromLocA.GetDistanceTo(ToLocB); 

---- Note: This returns distance in meters, so Km is a easy conversion.

Hope it helps.

N Baua

thank you for help, I using this code to get the coordinates in very simple way, how to put your code correctly in my code to get dustance

async void OnGeocodeButtonClicked(object sender, EventArgs e)
    {
    if (!string.IsNullOrWhiteSpace(inputEntry.Text))
    {
    var pickupaddress = inputEntry.Text;
    var approximateLocations = await geoCoder.GetPositionsForAddressAsync(pickupaddress);
    foreach (var position in approximateLocations)
    {
    geocodedOutputLabel.Text += position.Latitude + ", " + position.Longitude + "\n";
    }
    if (!string.IsNullOrWhiteSpace(inputEntry2.Text))
    {
    var pickoffaddress = inputEntry2.Text;
    var approximateLocations2 = await geoCoder.GetPositionsForAddressAsync(pickoffaddress);
    foreach (var position in approximateLocations2)
    {
    geocodedOutputLabel2.Text += position.Latitude + ", " + position.Longitude + "\n";
    }
    I am new in xamarin
    thanks

• N_BauaN_Baua INMember ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017

You can not just relate approximateLocations and approximateLocations2 coordinates to one-on-one basis.

There can be multiple or No values for either of this locations. so this would not be a right way to find out the distance in my opinion.

What you can do is.
    Get the approximateLocations and approximateLocations2 as you are doing now, but list them in 2 different picker controls or something. (also handle the case, if there are no suggested locations).

Now if user selects the location1 from approximateLocations and location2 from approximateLocations2, your code is simple as pie

var location1 = new GeoCoordinate(sLatitude, sLongitude);
    var location2 = new GeoCoordinate(eLatitude, eLongitude);
    return location1.GetDistanceTo(ToLocB);

edited September 2017

GetPositionsForAddressAsync returns a Position struct with a Longitude and Latitude property. So convert it into GeoCoordinate object, passing long and lat to constructor :
    https://developer.xamarin.com/api/type/Xamarin.Forms.Maps.Position/
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee426026.aspx

Accepted Answer

thank you too much for help, Unfortunately I dont know how do to that because I am still new in xamarin, If anyone help me to edit my code correctly its a great help, thank again

It's not a Xamarin question, but a C# one, and object oriented programming.
    The anwser is something like

var location1 = new GeoCoordinate(approximateLocations.Latitude, approximateLocations.Longitude);
    var location2 = new GeoCoordinate(approximateLocations2.Latitude, approximateLocations2.Longitude);
    return location1.GetDistanceTo(location2);

thank you @Charlélie A and I am sorry about repeated question, I am trying your code but not working or I dont know how. thank for your patient

Paste the code you have and give details about what isn't working, the error you have. I can't guess ;)

• SPerlicSPerlic Member

why cannot I import GeoCoordinate class?