Xamarin.Forms 2.4.0.74863

• stevevreelandstevevreeland USMember

I just updated to Forms 2.4.0.282. Nuget package manager gives me:
    Unable to resolve dependencies. 'Xamarin.Android.Support.Design 25.4.0.2' is not compatible with 'Xamarin.Forms 2.4.0.282 constraint: Xamarin.Android.Support.Design (= 23.3.0)' . But the manager shows the Dependencies for android v7 to be Xamarin.Android.Support.Design (>= 23.3.0). Is this a manager error or is something else going on?

• GVxGVx USMember ✭✭✭

@DavidOrtinau said:
    For those experiencing tap gesture issues on Android, please check out this PR and associated reports to confirm if this is the same as what you're seeing. https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/pull/1188

If you have additional details or your issue is different, please open a Bugzilla for us to investigate.

Ahhhh yes thanks, appears my issue is that it only fires on a double tap, which is one of the bugs listed as fixed.. Android only though....

• voidvoid DKBeta ✭✭✭
    edited October 16

I'm seeing very sluggish image loading and animation (android). Anything I need to know? I haven't tinkered with fast renderes or the like.

Animation:
    I've got a behaviour that animates a view height giving the effect of a slide-up button. It used to work flawlessly. Now it stutters or just appears in one go after some delay.

snippet to give you the idea:

var storyboard = new Animation ();

var animation = new Animation (callback: h => grid.RowDefinitions [Row].Height = h,
    start: FromHeight,
    end: ToHeight);

storyboard.Add (0, 1, animation);
    storyboard.Commit (grid, animationId, length: 250 , finished: (arg1, arg2) => DoAnimationCompleteCommand (FromHeight > ToHeight) );

We also got some images that previously loaded fast by a XAML Image.Trigger. Now, it stutters or lags. Not sure if the hold up is in the data trigger or the image loading.

• NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University ✭✭✭✭✭

@GVx said:

@DavidOrtinau said:
    For those experiencing tap gesture issues on Android, please check out this PR and associated reports to confirm if this is the same as what you're seeing. https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/pull/1188

If you have additional details or your issue is different, please open a Bugzilla for us to investigate.

Ahhhh yes thanks, appears my issue is that it only fires on a double tap, which is one of the bugs listed as fixed.. Android only though....

Yeah, only fired intermittently for me, thinking back it was tapping quickly (in frustration) when the gesture fired. iOS was fine.

• GyllionGyllion NLMember ✭✭

After installing the newest version (2.4.0.282) my XAML files don't work anymore. For every XAML file in my PCL, the error "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." appears. When I downgrade to version 2.3.4.270, the error disappears. Someone else who can relate to this problem? Am I the only one and is something wrong in my project?

@Gyllion said:
    After installing the newest version (2.4.0.282) my XAML files don't work anymore. For every XAML file in my PCL, the error "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." appears. When I downgrade to version 2.3.4.270, the error disappears. Someone else who can relate to this problem? Am I the only one and is something wrong in my project?

Seen this before, sounds like the build settings for the page have changed.

The build action should be "Embedded Resource"
    Custom Tool Should be "MSBuild:UpdateDesignTimeXaml"

Click on the page in the solution explorer and check it's properties, I'm guessing they have changes. not sure if you have the latest Xamarin VS extensions, I "think" this should have been fixed, I didn't encounter it after upgrade to 2.4.0 but I updated VS 1st.

@NMackay said:

@Gyllion said:

Click on the page in the solution explorer and check it's properties, I'm guessing they have changes. not sure if you have the latest Xamarin VS extensions, I "think" this should have been fixed, I didn't encounter it after upgrade to 2.4.0 but I updated VS 1st.

Hello NMackay, thanks for your quick reply! Those are the default settings of every page in my project. Also, I installed the new update of Visual Studio (15.4), but still no result.

@Gyllion said:

@NMackay said:

@Gyllion said:

Hello NMackay, thanks for your quick reply! Those are the default settings of every page in my project. Also, I installed the new update of Visual Studio (15.4), but still no result.

Try cleaning the solution (even deleted the obj & bin folders in the PCL), close the solution, delete the folders in the packages directory, open, restore nuget packages, rebuild PCL (restart VS if that fails) and then rebuild the platform specific project if the PCL builds successfully.

Apart from that, I don't know, the build settings have caused that issue in the past for me.

Maybe someone from Microsoft could be bothered to help...no, probably not.

@NMackay said:

@Gyllion said:

@NMackay said:

@Gyllion said:

Try cleaning the solution (even deleted the obj & bin folders in the PCL), close the solution, delete the folders in the packages directory, open, restore nuget packages, rebuild PCL (restart VS if that fails) and then rebuild the platform specific project if the PCL builds successfully.

Apart from that, I don't know, the build settings have caused that issue in the past for me.

Thank you very much for the answer. I have tried your options, but still no result. I will make this a seperate discussion to see if more developers are encountering this problem.

@Gyllion said:

@NMackay said:

@Gyllion said:

@NMackay said:

@Gyllion said:

Thank you very much for the answer. I have tried your options, but still no result. I will make this a seperate discussion to see if more developers are encountering this problem.

The fact you can roll back safely isn't all bad, I certainly didn't have the same experience (but had something similar in upgrading back in early 2.x), the actual error may be masked, I know it sucks but a repo may be required which means stripping back the solution to see what is actually causing the issue.

Sorry I couldn't help further.

• GVxGVx USMember ✭✭✭

@Gyllion said:

I have no idea what the cause is but I removed the XAML Compile option from all my .cs files and this weird error went away...

• DavidOrtinauDavidOrtinau USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Insider, University Xamurai

@stevevreeland said:
    I just updated to Forms 2.4.0.282. Nuget package manager gives me:
    Unable to resolve dependencies. 'Xamarin.Android.Support.Design 25.4.0.2' is not compatible with 'Xamarin.Forms 2.4.0.282 constraint: Xamarin.Android.Support.Design (= 23.3.0)' . But the manager shows the Dependencies for android v7 to be Xamarin.Android.Support.Design (>= 23.3.0). Is this a manager error or is something else going on?

Did you sort that out? Sounds like a package manager goof. I haven't seen other reports of this, and I've updated several. I do have the habit of not using the "Update" option and instead installing over the top by version.

• DavidOrtinauDavidOrtinau USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Insider, University Xamurai

@void said:
    I'm seeing very sluggish image loading and animation (android). Anything I need to know? I haven't tinkered with fast renderes or the like.

Hmm. What version are you comparing to? Is 2.3.4.270 noticeably faster than 2.4.0.282?

Image and animation are 2 separate issues you're seeing, correct?

• voidvoid DKBeta ✭✭✭
    edited October 18

@DavidOrtinau said:

@void said:

Hmm. What version are you comparing to? Is 2.3.4.270 noticeably faster than 2.4.0.282?

Image and animation are 2 separate issues you're seeing, correct?

I have a rather complex page. It's a page that among other things houses a custom tabbed view and a carousel control view with multiple views, each holding a list with cells that have data triggers. When navigating between carousel views a slideup button is activated/deactivated on the main page using a behaviour.

Theres a lot of stuff going on when you swipe. So I guess that it all boils down to some timing issues and how controls play with each other in 2.4x and previous versions. Perhaps it has something to do with the layout resize implementation that has changed. Dunno.

However, I managed to nudge it back on track. Sort of. Had to place a Task.Yield at the right spot to give the carousel view animation a chance to complete. Had to place a Nito LockAsync at a critical junction that was getting pounded. Had to make the slideup appear instantly. Things like that.

Alleviating the symptoms really. Don't have the time I need to research it the way it should be. Have a demo tomorrow :)

@void ok, thanks for the details. I'm sure the demo will crush! Sounds like an interesting UI. Share it with me sometime.

I'm also wondering if this PR has any impact. I'll investigate. https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/pull/849

• PhilippSumiPhilippSumi USMember ✭✭✭
    edited October 19

@NMackay said:
    @DavidOrtinau

Commercially we have 2 apps actively been used/developed (just about to be 3) written in pure C# Forms/PCL (only 8 custom renderers).

Fed up with the chatter for javasctript/native frameworks. Forms needs to grow some balls in stating it's benefits.

Ironically, my latest page is nothing but a WebView, that renders a card UI that is hosted on my website. It's the most functional and best looking page in the app, with a rich UI, smooth animations and good styling - and I didn't even develop it with XF in mind. As soon as XF comes back into play (when you select a TextArea, and the UI gets pushed up by the soft keyboard with a lag of about 1.5 seconds), things go south again. XF better grow those balls fast, and actually know what to do with them ;)

@PhilippSumi said:

@NMackay said:
    @DavidOrtinau

Commercially we have 2 apps actively been used/developed (just about to be 3) written in pure C# Forms/PCL (only 8 custom renderers).

Fed up with the chatter for javasctript/native frameworks. Forms needs to grow some balls in stating it's benefits.

Ironically, my latest page is nothing but a WebView, that renders a card UI that is hosted on my website. It's the most functional and best looking page in the app, with a rich UI, smooth animations and good styling - and I didn't even develop it with XF in mind. As soon as XF comes back into play (when you select a TextArea, and the UI gets pushed up by the soft keyboard with a lag of about 1.5 seconds), things go south again. XF better grow those balls fast, and actually know what to do with them ;)

Don't get me wrong, we're happy with Forms, I just want MS to push it's adoption a bit more as 1st choice solution for app dev, I'm hoping the promised performance tweaks will come along soon, I don't for one minute want to move to javascript and html.

@NMackay said:

@PhilippSumi said:

@NMackay said:
    @DavidOrtinau

Don't get me wrong, we're happy with Forms, I just want MS to push it's adoption a bit more as 1st choice solution for app dev, I'm hoping the promised performance tweaks will come along soon, I don't for one minute want to move to javascript and html.

I got that - I just felt tempted to reply because I was in that position myself, but now I'm not so sure anymore. I'm really senior when it comes to .NET development, and I wrote XAML for years on WPF/Silverlight. And still, at this point, I'm not so sure whether I'd be more productive with web tech / Typescript. I love my tech stack dearly, but I'm losing so much time over all those small bugs. For example, to this day, I haven't been able to craft a simple but functional chat UI that doesn't provide a horrible UX. And this is something I used to ask WPF devs to get done in a 2 hour practical job interview.

• voidvoid DKBeta ✭✭✭
    edited October 19

@NMackay said:

@PhilippSumi said:

@NMackay said:
    @DavidOrtinau

Flutter will be my go to for new apps if Forms is still in the current state (bugridden, subpar performance , lacking own MS apps) when Flutter goes 1.0 .

For existing Forms projects I will make an incision right above viewmodels, exorcise Prism navigation and replace with ReactiveUI and go .iOS/.Droid native - using xcode's own designer for storyboards of course :disappointed:

I will not go the javascript way either.

I think ... :)

@void said:

@NMackay said:

@PhilippSumi said:

@NMackay said:
    @DavidOrtinau

Flutter will be my go to for new apps if Forms is still in the current state (bugridden, subpar performance , lacking own MS apps) when Flutter goes 1.0 .

For existing Forms projects I will make an incision right above viewmodels, exorcise Prism navigation and replace with ReactiveUI and go .iOS/.Droid native - using xcode's own designer for storyboards of course :disappointed:

Interesting, would be a crying shame if you had to take these steps.

• DavidCarawayDavidCaraway USBeta ✭✭
    edited October 20

@void said:

@NMackay said:

@PhilippSumi said:

@NMackay said:
    @DavidOrtinau

I use Xamarin.iOS and Xamarin.Android and it's both rock solid and easy. I just finished updating the Android version of a popular app I have. It took me two days max to create the new UI in xml layout files. Some here spend that amount of time just trying to figure out why a button doesn't look right in Forms. I don't use iOS storyboards. I just glue single Xibs together. It's easy. Why adopt a new framework when Xamarin has some great tools not named Forms? Deep down inside you know you won't save one minute of time adopting something like Flutter. Admit it. You have the same illness most of us do. We're all driven to the latest greatest framework like moths to a light lol. Xamarin rocks, even if XF is still a bit rocky. You couldn't pay me enough money to ditch Xamarin.

edited October 20

@NMackay said:

@PhilippSumi said:

@NMackay said:
    @DavidOrtinau

I know a senior manager for one of Microsoft's well-known products. He knew little of Xamarin and nothing of Forms. In a nutshell, MS is a big company and they are still working on promoting it within their own company.

@DavidCaraway said:

@void said:

@NMackay said:

@PhilippSumi said:

@NMackay said:
    @DavidOrtinau

I use Xamarin.iOS and Xamarin.Android and it's both rock solid and easy. I just finished updating the Android version of a popular app I have. It took me two days max to create the new UI in xml layout files. Some here spend that amount of time just trying to figure out why a button doesn't look right in Forms. I don't use iOS storyboards. I just glue single Xibs together. It's easy. Why adopt a new framework when Xamarin has some great tools not named Forms? Deep down inside you know you won't save one minute of time adopting something like Flutter. Admit it. You have the same illness most of us do. We're all driven to the latest greatest framework like moths to a light lol. The best mobile framework available today IMHO is Xamarin.Android and Xamarin.iOS. I hope someday I can say Forms but today is not someday.

We're getting of topic here. We use Forms successfully (I did say successfully), one of the many reasons is it's small team and we don't have time to maintain to separate UI layers in an app that has 100+ pages, React or native iOS & Android don't solve that problem, hybrid does but been down that path and it sucked, also as the UI is XAML based and it strongly follows the same MVVM pattern as our WPF app there's a natural skills transfer so the business are not left with an alien code base if I should move on. My point was just that MS need to invest more in Forms, I'm certainly not taking a pop at the framework or the team.

• BrightLeeBrightLee KRMember ✭✭✭

@DavidCaraway
    Thanks for that but this is a X.Forms forum here.

@void
    I wonder why you don't think about React Native?

edited October 20

@BrightLee said:
    @DavidCaraway
    Thanks for that but this is a X.Forms forum here.

@void

Unfortunately you can't delete posts. I thought about that very same thing afterwards and wanted to. Nonetheless, you provided me with a little bit of humor by reminding me that this is an X.Forms forum while in the very next line asking someone why he isn't thinking about React.Native lol. You deserve a beer for that.

@DavidCaraway

If it made you smile, I'm happy for that.

Anyway, I'm sorry that I didn't notice that your posting is kind of answer to void's posting.
    It's fair. :)

• voidvoid DKBeta ✭✭✭
    edited October 20

@BrightLee said:

I have. But I don't like Javascript and I don't trust FB. They are however taking their own medicine. +1 for that.

@void said:

@BrightLee said:

I have. But I don't like Javascript and I don't trust FB. They are however taking their own medicine. +1 for that.

As you mentioned, I think the last sentence is very important too.

• batmacibatmaci DEMember ✭✭✭✭

@DavidOrtinau It seems like there is new release 2.4.0.18342 - version number is lower than 2.4.0.282 but my VS displays it latest version. I cant find any information about. what is this release?

edited October 20

Back to topic boys ;)

@DavidOrtinau There just was a concerning post regarding the tap gesture recognizers at the bug post here:
    https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=59863

Maybe that's not solved yet.

Edit: David updated the ticket. Thanks!

• ChaseFlorellChaseFlorell CAInsider, University mod

@batmaci said:
    @DavidOrtinau It seems like there is new release 2.4.0.18342 - version number is lower than 2.4.0.282 but my VS displays it latest version. I cant find any information about. what is this release?

FYI: 18342 is a larger number than 282, so it makes perfect sense

@ChaseFlorell said:

@batmaci said:

haha this weird way of numbering. I have never seen 5 digits release number after dot. thats why I was confused :)
    anyhow no information about this release anywhere.

• ChaseFlorellChaseFlorell CAInsider, University mod

@batmaci said:

@ChaseFlorell said:

@batmaci said:

haha this weird way of numbering. I have never seen 5 digits release number after dot. thats why I was confused :)
    anyhow no information about this release anywhere.

The release notes are in fact linked on the Nuget listing.
    https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/releases/tag/release-2.4.0-sr2

• JaredHJaredH AUMember ✭✭

Any chance of reverting the change that reverted the change to make button borders work for Android? I can't use 2.4.0.18342 as the border property is no longer working for my buttons. This is a pity as the fix for - 45330 System.ObjectDisposedException: Cannot access a disposed object - solved my number one source of crashes. It's annoying to miss out on a free bug fix just to keep my UI looking the same.

• GVxGVx USMember ✭✭✭

@batmaci said:
    @DavidOrtinau It seems like there is new release 2.4.0.18342

Awesome!! been waiting for this as needing the Android tap gesture fix.. and yes that is an odd release number compared to previous releases.... :smile:

• GVxGVx USMember ✭✭✭

Updated to 2.4.0.18342 .... And am still getting tap gesture not triggering on Android.....

Have the rest of you had any luck with it ? Specifically so far I am testing with a Samsung S6 that is running Nougat... And unfortunately the tap gesture is still only on the odd occasion being recognised... iOS is working perfectly as usual...

• KingNguyenKingNguyen USMember ✭✭

@GVx said:
    Updated to 2.4.0.18342 .... And am still getting tap gesture not triggering on Android.....

Have the rest of you had any luck with it ? Specifically so far I am testing with a Samsung S6 that is running Nougat... And unfortunately the tap gesture is still only on the odd occasion being recognised... iOS is working perfectly as usual...

Update 2.5 beta, 2.4.0.18342 fixed it, but API 23 and below.

@GVx said:

which tap gesture you talk about? is it tap gesture generally or on images? I had that working all the time for releases. could it be related to support libraries as I had v 25.x ?

Yes, release notes and announcement up now for 2.4.0.18342.

Tap issue fix is API 23. We are continuing to work on it and I've reopened at least one of those Bugzilla's to reflect this is only a partial fix.

We have also published 2.5.0-pre and I'll be posting about that today and tomorrow.