Xamarin.Forms 2.4.0.74863

• maxbromomaxbromo IDMember ✭✭
    edited October 3

@DavidOrtinau thanks for the reply, but the service release doesn't solve my issue because 2.4.0.282 was the version I was using before reverting back to 2.3.4.270. Will post a more detailed report on Bugzilla later on when I find the time.

Edit: @DavidOrtinau bug has been posted at https: //bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=59931

(sorry apparently I'm not allowed to post working links yet)

• DanielRobbinsDanielRobbins USMember ✭✭

OK @DavidOrtinau, I have created two bugs for you:

https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=59935 -- Grid Misbehaving?
    https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=59933 -- RelativeLayout with InputTransparent = true occluding RelativeLayout beneath

Thanks to all for their attention to these issues -- much appreciated :)

• ChaseFlorellChaseFlorell CAInsider, University mod

@DanielRobbins said:
    Ooh, I found a nasty bug -- at least for my app! Take any input elements (Picker, Entry, etc.) that are initially created off-screen, in my case inside a RelativeLayout that is initially positioned off-screen. Now use TranslateTo() to animate the RelativeLayout, so that it glides from the off-screen area so that it is now fully visible. This is a nice effect that I am using in an app. When you do this, the input elements will not be able to receive any input from the user. They will be unelectable by touch, etc. I imagine in the Forms code that the off-screen input elements are being tagged as not able to receive input, but they are not getting reconsidered for input after translation. Confirmed on both Android and iOS -- so appears to be a Forms issue. It may not be specific to just this exact release but has cropped in recently, because this used to work.

I think you have to do it the other way around.

Lay out your view so that the Input is in it's final location, and then set the translationY/Y.

<Entry x:Name="foo" Grid.Row="0" Grid.Column="0" TranslationY="-100" />

public override async void OnAppearing()
    {
        base.OnAppearing();
        await foo.TranslateTo(0,0);
    }

• EZHartEZHart USXamarin Team Xamurai

@DanielRobbins I've replied to your bug report about the Grid issues.

@DanielRobbins said:
    I think the above issue plus some lack of clarity on the behavior of InputTransparent (does it transfer to children?) may

InputTransparent does transfer to child elements. If you mark a container (e.g., a StackLayout) as InputTransparent, elements within it will not receive input. The documentation doesn't explicitly state this. Also, there were some inconsistencies in this behavior in previous versions; as of 2.4, I believe we've addressed all of those.

@EZHart, ok, that is helpful to know and I've left feedback for the docs team on that. But in my bug https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=59933 I reported that InputTransparent does not appear to be working this way. I can re-test just to make sure, but it sure seemed that InputTransparent applied to the top RelativeLayout was still occluding input in the bottom RelativeLayout.

@ChaseFlorell I think you may be on to something -- my RelativeLayout/StackLayout bug probably should have been called "Input Elements fail when Translated". It wasn't an issue with InputTransparent, but that translating them broke them.

• NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University ✭✭✭✭✭

@DavidOrtinau said:
    Service Release is up to address the Fast Renderer OnCreate issue, PR 1151. Please keep the bugzilla reports coming.

We're looking into tap gesture reports.

@DavidOrtinau

Hi David, can confirm the Tapgesture issue, we've ran into this when we upgraded to 2.4.0.282 today, seeing poor Tapgesture performance on our images with tapgestures in Android, tested on an S6 with Android 7.0.1. It was fine using Forms 2.3.5-pre6.

The app is PCL, Profile259, AppCompat.

Apart from that it's all good and app runs smoother.

I tested in iOS and all the Tapgestures work as expected so this is an Android issue. Is there a Bugzilla or does the team know what the issue is and will it be service packed? it would seem a bit of a show stopper issue.

• ChaseFlorellChaseFlorell CAInsider, University mod

@DanielRobbins said:
    @ChaseFlorell I think you may be on to something -- my RelativeLayout/StackLayout bug probably should have been called "Input Elements fail when Translated". It wasn't an issue with InputTransparent, but that translating them broke them.

as far as I can recall, it's always better to layout your view in their final position and set the TranslationX/Y to move it off the view. The Translation happens after layout.

@ChaseFlorell I did give your method a try and it did not appear to work. So there may still be an outstanding bug relating to the Transitioning of input elements.

@DanielRobbins said:

@DanielRobbins - I tried this to see if I could replicate the issue:

• The Entry starts offscreen
    • The Entry is translated onto the screen (using TranslateTo())
    • Tapping the Entry allows for text entry

It seems to work just fine - what detail am I missing?

@EZHart I am not sure what is breaking in my code, but it appears that something is breaking. Try this demo code, which reproduces the issue.

• @DavidOrtinau said:
    @NicolaiSchnberg.2424 maybe you've already done this, but please confirm you've updated all references to Xamarin.Forms in your solution to the same version. Then clean and delete the bin/obj folders before retesting. Let's make sure we are totally clean. If this issue persists, please share a project and open an issue for us on Bugzilla.

Hi @DavidOrtinau ,
    yes I did that but did not helped. When I revert my changes back to previous Xamarin version it is working again. But I would really like to start with netstandard instead of using PCL. I have no idea how I can solve the Issue because im not getting any exceptions or something. Im not sure there is a bug with Xamarin 2.4, it seems Im the only one having these issues. If you want I can file a report on Bugzilla, or I can send you the code via github so you guys can have a look?

@DanielRobbins said:
    Forms issue. It may not be specific to just this exact release but has cropped in recently, because this used to work.

Do you have any idea which version it last worked on?

@EZHart I am not sure.

@maxbromo said:
    @DavidOrtinau thanks for the reply, but the service release doesn't solve my issue because 2.4.0.282 was the version I was using before reverting back to 2.3.4.270. Will post a more detailed report on Bugzilla later on when I find the time.

Edit: @DavidOrtinau bug has been posted at https: //bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=59931

(sorry apparently I'm not allowed to post working links yet)

@DavidOrtinau, just to let you know the issue has been resolved, the code that was bugging is not required any longer as it was used to hide the status bar underlay, but this underlay was anyway removed in PR 892:
    https: //github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/pull/892

Might be useful to update the reference in https: //xamarinhelp.com/accommodate-on-screen-keyboard-xamarin-forms/ because the alternative solution they suggest there will crash in XF 2.4.0.282

@DanielRobbins said:

don't know, I seem to be experiencing issues related to InputTransparent. We use lots of popup layouts, inherited from the XLabs popup layout (https: //github.com/XLabs/Xamarin-Forms-Labs/blob/master/src/Forms/XLabs.Forms/Controls/PopupLayout.cs).
    The code sets InputTransparent = true for the background elements (behind the popup) when a popup is active... however it seems this works exactly the wrong way around, instead somehow the actual popup seems to become InputTransparent and you can't tap/focus on anything in the popup. After commenting out the InputTransparent lines, my popups work fine again (all my popups are "full page" with a semi-transparent outer section, so I don't actually need the background to be inputTransparent).

@maxbromo said:

@DanielRobbins said:

don't know, I seem to be experiencing issues related to InputTransparent. We use lots of popup layouts, inherited from the XLabs popup layout (https: //github.com/XLabs/Xamarin-Forms-Labs/blob/master/src/Forms/XLabs.Forms/Controls/PopupLayout.cs).
    The code sets InputTransparent = true for the background elements (behind the popup) when a popup is active... however it seems this works exactly the wrong way around, instead somehow the actual popup seems to become InputTransparent and you can't tap/focus on anything in the popup. After commenting out the InputTransparent lines, my popups work fine again (all my popups are "full page" with a semi-transparent outer section, so I don't actually need the background to be inputTransparent).

Update: actually looks like InputTransparent is now working correctly, and was not working correctly before the 2.4 update. My version of the XLabs popup was an old commit, where there was a rogue line of code which set inputTransparent = true for the actual popup foreground (not only the background). For some reason the inputTransparent property on the foreground seemed to have no effect up to XF 2.3.4.270, so I never stumbled across this.

• JimBennettJimBennett GBInsider, University, Developer Group Leader ✭✭✭✭

Calling Init more than once wasn't crashing before. @DavidOrtinau - would you say this is a bug? Feels like it should at least not crash.

• MichaelMcCoyMichaelMcCoy USMember
    edited October 9

Are there new Visual Studio project templates to create a Xamarin Forms project based on .NET Standard 2.0 ?

• sorry just spotted on Roadmap that this is coming in Q4.
  • JosecanallaJosecanalla ARMember ✭✭

Is it possible that the new version 2.4.0.282 breaks my UI? I see the buttons without margin and with rounded corners. Previously I have 2.3.4.270.

@maxbromo my bugs were resolved. InputTransparent does apply to children (my first issue) and the second issue was resolved by adding an initial translation "offset" to the input elements, so the animation would migrate them back to their 'original' location: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=59933

Even though there is a work-around for the translation of input elements, I think it is too sneaky. The dream of Xamarin is that you can use simple APIs to avoid a lot of complexity and develop mobile apps quickly. Part of this is having APIs that are brain-dead simple. This pre-translation trick is a little too sophisticated :) Let's face it -- when you have an issue with Layouts, it's not exactly simple to debug. Simplification, improved docs and continued performance improvements will pave the way for Xamarin's success.

• PhilippSumiPhilippSumi USMember ✭✭✭

@NMackay said:

@DavidOrtinau

Hi David, can confirm the Tapgesture issue, we've ran into this when we upgraded to 2.4.0.282 today, seeing poor Tapgesture performance on our images with tapgestures in Android, tested on an S6 with Android 7.0.1. It was fine using Forms 2.3.5-pre6.

I tested in iOS and all the Tapgestures work as expected so this is an Android issue. Is there a Bugzilla or does the team know what the issue is and will it be service packed? it would seem a bit of a show stopper issue.

Interestingly enough, I'm also testing on an S6. Did you repro with another device by any chance?

There's a Bugzilla here, which also refers to some related tickets. I agree on the show stopper quality. I'm not even bothering to evaluating until this is fixed - the app is basically unusable at this point. Fortunately, the team seems to be on it :)
    https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=59863

• DavidOrtinauDavidOrtinau USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Insider, University Xamurai

@Josecanalla said:
    Is it possible that the new version 2.4.0.282 breaks my UI? I see the buttons without margin and with rounded corners. Previously I have 2.3.4.270.

Android material? Could be this https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/pull/1178, a change that is being reverted and we'll be pushing a service release.

• DavidOrtinauDavidOrtinau USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Insider, University Xamurai

@MichaelMcCoy said:
    Are there new Visual Studio project templates to create a Xamarin Forms project based on .NET Standard 2.0 ?

• sorry just spotted on Roadmap that this is coming in Q4.

Send a Tweet to @pierceboggan and he can send you a preview of templates we are testing.

• FoxsterFoxster GBMember ✭✭

@DavidOrtinau
    Hi David,

Is this being given any sort of priority as this is quite a big deal?

Bug Id 59896

I can't seem to post links

• ThomasGoerlichThomasGoerlich DEMember ✭✭

I'm running into a problem with our custom listViews and i'm not sure if it is a bug or if i do something wrong. We only want to enable ListViewCachingStrategy on Android and UWP for now because we had problems on iOS. So we have this in our XAML:

<controls:EntityListView> <x:Arguments> <ListViewCachingStrategy> <OnPlatform x:TypeArguments="ListViewCachingStrategy"> <On Platform="iOS">RetainElement</On> <On Platform="Android,UWP">RecycleElement</On> </OnPlatform> </ListViewCachingStrategy> </x:Arguments> </controls:EntityListView>

And our ListView has a constructor like:

public EntityListView(ListViewCachingStrategy cachingStrategy) : base(cachingStrategy)

The problem is that i get the following error in the XAML which is related to the OnPlatform in x:Arguments part:

{"Position 104:22. Can not set the content of ListViewCachingStrategy as it doesn't have a ContentPropertyAttribute"}

This worked fine in Xamarin.Forms 2.3.4.247 so it might be a bug but the release notes state something about ListViewCachingStrategy now being an flags enum so maybe i need to change something?

Sorry about the formating of the code ... i seem to do something wrong with the backticks but don't know what.

• ClayZuvichClayZuvich USMember ✭✭

@DavidOrtinau

I am receiving an ArgumentNullException in Xamarin Forms 2.4 when using a custom Map renderer in a ListView Header in iOS. I created a bugzilla report here.

https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=60140

My apologies for the long thread, but it took me some time to create a project that could reproduce it consistently. This bug is a real show-stopper for our project, and we are unable to upgrade. My guess there will be other bugs related to iOS Maps and Dispose() in this release, too. I hope you guys can issue a fix for it in the next release soon.

• PhilippSumiPhilippSumi USMember ✭✭✭

Anybody else having issues with labels in 2.4.0? I have a weird one with labels in a carousel not being rendered (or at least not being visible) as of 2.4. The page is being layouted ok, but the labels don't show up anymore:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8xbmz2fecl1of4y/carousel-issue.mp4?dl=0
    Corresponding Bugzilla: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=60097

• GVxGVx USMember ✭✭✭

@NMackay said:

@DavidOrtinau said:
    Service Release is up to address the Fast Renderer OnCreate issue, PR 1151. Please keep the bugzilla reports coming.

We're looking into tap gesture reports.

@DavidOrtinau

I am having problem with tap gestures too... Android only.... tapping doesn't work... unless i tap many times then maybe it will work... Is this your issue too ?? Emulator is fine though, it's only actual devices....

• JKayJKay USMember ✭✭✭

Think I am seeing the TapGesture problem too but at first I put it down to me not tapping correctly. But now people are reporting it I think it's probably a bug. The tap gesture is a bit "hit and miss".. Excuse the pun

• JKayJKay USMember ✭✭✭
    edited October 13

Getting this error when building UWP for release using latest Xamarin.Forms version:

error PRI175 : 0x80073b0f - Processing Resources failed with error : Duplicate Entry. [....MyApp.UWP.csproj]
    2017-10-13T08:54:07.5825827Z GENERATEPROJECTPRIFILE : error PRI277: 0xdef00532 - Conflicting values for resource 'Files/Xamarin.Forms.Platform.UAP/TabbedPageStyle.xbf'

Wasn't happening with previous version. But I also use Syncfusion Controls so could possibly be that? I'm not sure.

Edit: Actually this may be to do with Syncfusion not updating to latest Xamarin.Forms

• LucioMSPLucioMSP MXUniversity ✭✭✭

@DavidOrtinau I would like to know why the MasterBehavior.Popover did not works for iOS, my problem is that I wish make the same menu on iOS, I mean, put it on top of the content. That the animation is the same in iOS as in Android, because I could not find a solution to this.

@Foxster said:
    @DavidOrtinau
    Hi David,

Is this being given any sort of priority as this is quite a big deal?

Bug Id 59896

I can't seem to post links

Looking into it. Are you cc'd on the report? If not, please add yourself.

@ClayZuvich never apologize for a thorough report! Those are very helpful. I've confirmed this issue and prioritized it. Thanks!

@PhilippSumi hmm, I haven't heard other reports of that. Fast Renderer? @PaulDiPietro is commenting on your report now to find out more.

For those experiencing tap gesture issues on Android, please check out this PR and associated reports to confirm if this is the same as what you're seeing. https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/pull/1188

If you have additional details or your issue is different, please open a Bugzilla for us to investigate.

@LucioMSP said:
    @DavidOrtinau I would like to know why the MasterBehavior.Popover did not works for iOS, my problem is that I wish make the same menu on iOS, I mean, put it on top of the content. That the animation is the same in iOS as in Android, because I could not find a solution to this.

Are you on phone or tablet? The behavior is always Popover on phone which means the detail (the content) is over the master (menu) and slides out of the way to reveal it. I realize that doesn't sound at all like a popover. That was originally made for the tablet where it (master) is actually over the content (detail).

https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/xamarin-forms/application-fundamentals/navigation/master-detail-page/

Maybe that clarified things, but if not and you think we have a bug here, please open a bugzilla and include some video or screenshots of what you're seeing. I did a quick exploration with 2.4.0 and iOS 11 on phone and iPad.

• LucioMSPLucioMSP MXUniversity ✭✭✭

@DavidOrtinau said:

@LucioMSP said:

Are you on phone or tablet? The behavior is always Popover on phone which means the detail (the content) is over the master (menu) and slides out of the way to reveal it. I realize that doesn't sound at all like a popover. That was originally made for the tablet where it (master) is actually over the content (detail).

https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/xamarin-forms/application-fundamentals/navigation/master-detail-page/

Maybe that clarified things, but if not and you think we have a bug here, please open a bugzilla and include some video or screenshots of what you're seeing. I did a quick exploration with 2.4.0 and iOS 11 on phone and iPad.

A: Phone - Ok, thanks for the clarification, then what solution would give to be able to have the same appearance in iOS and Android? I'm creating a render right now, but it would be nice if Xamarin Forms would provide a property to do this.

@LucioMSP personally I've used http://www.xam-consulting.com/slideoverkit-xamarin-forms/ with good success and if I recall it provides the same experience on both platforms.

In terms of Xamarin.Forms enhancing this to allow that control, I think that's a good case for an Evolution proposal.

• Britton_BeckhamBritton_Beckham USMember ✭✭

Hey guys, Just installed that latest stable 2.4.0.282 and am having the same problem again with the main window being draw under the status (system) bar. I have the following styles.xml

resources/values/styles.xml

<style name="MyTheme.Base" parent="Theme.AppCompat.Light.NoActionBar">
        <item name="colorPrimary">@color/primary</item>
        <item name="colorPrimaryDark">@color/primary_dark</item>
        <item name="colorAccent">@color/accent</item>
        <item name="android:textColor">@color/primary_text</item>
        <item name="android:windowBackground">@color/window_background</item>

<item name="android:windowContentTransitions">true</item>
        <item name="android:windowAllowEnterTransitionOverlap">true</item>
        <item name="android:windowAllowReturnTransitionOverlap">true</item>
        <item name="android:windowSharedElementEnterTransition">@android:transition/move</item>
        <item name="android:windowSharedElementExitTransition">@android:transition/move</item>
        <item name="android:colorActivatedHighlight">@android:color/transparent</item>
        <item name="android:windowDrawsSystemBarBackgrounds">true</item>
        <item name="windowNoTitle">true</item>
        <item name="windowActionBar">false</item>
        <item name="windowActionModeOverlay">true</item>
    </style>

resources/values-v21/styles.xml

<style name="MyTheme" parent="MyTheme.Base">
        <!--If you are using MasterDetailPage you will want to set these, else you can leave them out-->
        <item name="windowActionBar">false</item>
        <item name="windowNoTitle">true</item>
        <item name="android:windowDrawsSystemBarBackgrounds">true</item>
        <item name="android:statusBarColor">@android:color/transparent</item>
        <item name="android:windowTranslucentStatus">true</item>
    </style>

I'm using Android.Support libraries v25.3.1

Not sure where to go from here. I tried tweaking several values in the styles.xml but nothing helped get me back to the state I was using XF 2.3.x