Forum Cross Platform with Xamarin
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

Writing for Windows and Linux

Apologies if this isn't this kind of forum or if this question has already been dealt with. I just don't know what to google at this point...

I have made a bit of software in WPF, which I quite like. But, I want to make it cross-platform (or output build for different platforms, that might be a different thing). So, I knew I would have to pretty much start again - which is no big deal because it's not really a large and complex thing - and I ended up being directed towards Xaramin/MonoDevelop after some googling around.

My question is as follows.

I have done a little tutorial that makes an incredibly simplistic text editor, I made it using the Gtk2.0 project template which exists on my Linux Machine in MonoDevelop, and on my Windows machine in Xamarin.

To make the program run on both machines I had to do the steps of the tutorial twice, granted I did copy and paste to c# code but I am sure you see how this lends itself to being a not very efficient workflow for developing software (particularly because I would like to if possible build for Mac as well.)

Can I set up Xaramin so that I can build a version for Linux and a version windows on my windows machine, so that I may build the installers for both platforms without having to have separate projects. Can I publish for different platforms on a windows machine? How?

Please help, kind regards

another noob.

(There were images of the programs running on both platforms but apparently, I am too new to add them. They were identical programs with 4 buttons and a text box. You could clear the text box, convert the text to all uppercase or all lowercase and save the file)

Best Answer

Answers

• coliwobcoliwob GBMember

Thanks, this looks really promising. Am still pulling my hair out a little bit because it only seems to talk about producing for Windows and Mac, and not Linux. But, I assume that the principles I learn there will A) be useful regardless, and B) be applicable.