xamarin studio 2 build errors

Hi there,

I am extremely new to Xamarin Studio, Visual Studio, and also c#/programming in general. I hope that I am posting this in the right place. I do apologize if not.

I am going through a beginners tutorial that uses Xamarin/c#. I compiled a very simple console script from a tutorial that I am going through. It worked just fine. But then I tried to compile again and I get this error:

2 Build Errors, 11 warnings:

Could not copy "obj\x86\Debug...exe" to "bin\Debug...exe". Exceeded retry count of 10. Failed. (MSB3027)
Could not copy "onj\x86\Debug...exe" to "bin\Debug...exe". Beginning retry 1 in 1000ms. The process cannot access the file "bin\Debug...exe' because it is being used by another process. (MSB3026)

I have absolutely no idea how to solve this. It worked perfectly the first time. I have triple checked the code, and everything seems to be ok.

I tried restarting, running as Admin. Still the same issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Much thanks!

Damian

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent Clint StLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

First - Xamarin Studio is long out of date and not being updated. So stick with Visual Studio.

Second - "A console script for Xamarin" ?? What is the address of the tutorial you're trying to follow?

Third - "because it is being used by another process. " - Is it possible the app is still running... Or that you have the solution open in both Xamarin Studio and Visual Studio at the same time? If nothing else, reboot your PC. Then it can't be open in anything.

• mr_floppsmr_flopps damian smith ZAMember
    Thank you very much for your response.

I might have misspoken. The tutorial I am doing is from YouTube. Brackeys channel, beginner c#. I can't post link here as it says I'm too new.

By console script I just meant it calls the console/cmd.

I have tried restarting and ending processes. Still no luck. I can just use visual studio. But certain commands like 'console' don't get highlighted.. If that makes sense (no idea of the correct terminology) I just figure it'd be best to use the same software as a tutorial. Thanks again,

Damian
  • ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent Clint StLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

You're mixing apple and oranges. Just because its C# doesn't mean its going to work as a Xamarin.Forms application.
    That's like saying "Well... Diesel works as a fuel for a dump trunk... It should work fine as a fuel for my Jeep"

If you're going to follow a generic C# tutorial then apply it in the context for which it was created: A windows project - not Xamarin.

If you already understand C# basics and want to learn Xamarin, then do Xamarin tutorials - and the "getting started" walk-throughs from the Xamarin site. Then go from there.

Xamarin University is also very good value.
    Single price for all their courses, including C#, XAML and so on.
    You can work up from generic C#, to the MVVM pattern, to Xamarin.Forms applications.