Evolve 2018

ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

Well... 2017 is basically done - at least from the perspective of planning for any conferences and so on.

So... Anyone heard even a rumor of an official Evolve 2018 conference? It would follow the every-other-year pattern so far of 2014/2016.
@DavidOrtinau - You tend to have your finger on the pulse of new things and planning coming down the pipe at Xamarin. Do you hear anything?

Tagged:

• AnthonyRamirezAnthonyRamirez USUniversity ✭✭✭

Also eager to hear as well :)

• bolajiniybolajiniy NGUniversity ✭✭

Same here, I need to plan ahead :)

• StephenHauckStephenHauck USMember ✭✭✭

BUMP, anything on Evolve in 2018 yet ?

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

I hate to say it... But I suspect there won't be any more Xamarin Evolve events. Nobody let's people dangle this long if they have plans in the works. The first quarter of the year is over. Anyone that has to make vacation or business travel plans is probably locked in already. They could announce this for August and many folks wouldn't be able to get company expense approval that quick. Sad. Xamarin made their big noise and big events and got their big buy out by Microsoft. They aren't in charge of their own events any more.

Now that Microsoft owns Xamarin I suspect we just have to look at the Microsoft events and hope there is some little room set aside for Xamarin. Maybe one or two announcements in between the 60 minute commercials for Azure service. What a frelling shame!

So I saw the post about new Xamarin University stuf

At the very end was this paragraph.

Microsoft Build 2018
    Lastly, Microsoft Build 2018, our biggest developer conference is just around the corner, taking place in Seattle, Washington USA on May 7-9. In addition to connecting with Microsoft engineers and execs about the future of apps, cloud, and AI, you can meet some of our awesome Xamarin University team members across instructor-led hands-on labs and at the Expo. Subscribe to Microsoft Build's updates to get the latest on where to find us!

So, to me, it sounds like Build is trying to wrap some of what Evolve had going for it. I think it might have been nice if they stressed that a bit more. If I had heard about a "Xamarin Track at Build", I would have petitioned my work to send me.

• JamesLaveryJamesLavery GBBeta, University ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's certainly a pity. I've been to all the Evolves to date and would have seriously considered Build in this instance.

@JamesLavery said:
    That's certainly a pity. I've been to all the Evolves to date and would have seriously considered Build in this instance.

Ditto. But what can a working person do when you learn about it with so little time? There is no way to get approval, time,, travel expenses hotel etc. in corporate America for an event less than 30 days out.

We all signed up with email addresses for the Evolve conferences... I hear there is this thing called 'marketing' where people use your email addresses for previous events to let you know about upcoming events. You'd think some smart cookie at Microsoft would have thought to email the 30k+ people they have on record as attending the Evolve events and try to get them to go to Build. Maybe nobody at MS gets a bonus tied to the number of paid attendees.

Tag: @JamesLavery @StephenHauck @KarinaUng @bolajiniy @AnthonyRamirez @DavidOrtinau @NMackay @DrJ @DaveHunt @kentucker @JonathanBachelor

Cross-reference: https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/82311/when-is-evolve-2017

Certainly looking more and more like there will be no more Evolve events. Everything now seems to be at MS Build.
    I just saw this in the latest XamUniversity post.

Talk about weird cross-posting. Nearly random. If someone just happens to keep up on XamU notifications then they find out about live workshops taking place at the conference.

And there is only mention of 2 instructor-led classes. A pale shadow of having entire training tracks that were part of Evolve - not to mention all the announcement, unveilings, Xamarin-specific vendors,

To those at Xamarin

Please make more of an effort for 2019 to let the Xamarin community know what is being planned and with enough time so we can make arrangements and get authorizations. It takes time to organize companies to approve the expenses, travel, hotels, time off etc. NOTHING was put out to the THOUSANDS of attendees of the previous years' Evolve attendees. You have all those email addresses yet didn't use them. There are/were threads here for Evolve 2017/2018 that were conspicuously devoid of official comments. Its not unreasonable to think that hundreds if not thousands of us would attend Build if we knew there was a strong Xamarin presence beyond just a booth - but leaving everyone to wonder in silence doesn't put {paying} butts in chairs and feels a little disrespectful to all those people that supported Xamarin when it was a stand alone and trying to get its legs under it.