University Profile not working

DaveCarsonDaveCarson GBUniversity ✭✭✭

Has anyone else had issues with their University Profile?

I've noticed a few things recently while moving towards re-certification:

• It previously, incorrectly, stated that I had completed the required classes for recertification when I had only completed 5 out of the required 6
  • Now that I have completed the 6th class it is not reflecting this, stating (again incorrectly) that I have only completed 5 out of the required 6
  • Under 'Past Classes' each has a 'Take Survey' button but I have previously submitted these for almost all of the classes I have attended since 2014
  • Some of the guest lectures indicate that I have 'Not Attended' - which is only correct in 1 or 2 instances (working late!)
  • The 'My Preferred Class Times' selection have disappeared and are not persisted when I reapply & save (despite a notification indicating otherwise)

I have contacted training@xamarin.com regarding the second item but it seems that there is a lot wrong with this page right now.

• DaveCarsonDaveCarson GBUniversity ✭✭✭

@MarkSmith.8123 - any chance you can investigate my re-certification status for me?

Over the past few years I have invested a lot of time and (let's be honest) money into achieving and retaining my Certification.

I saw that you now have a 'Verification Page' which I was going to put on my site - but as it may soon falsely report that my certification has lapsed I am holding off.

• MarkSmith.8123MarkSmith.8123 USXamarin Team, University, XamUProfessors Xamurai
    edited September 2017

Hi @DaveCarson --

First let me apologize. Adding a different certification level changed a bunch of rules and our web team has been trying to catch all the edge cases, particularly around re-certification grants. It was a lot more complex than we thought it would be! I think we're close to having it all perfected, but sorry that it glitched your profile.

The next step is to redesign the /classes page so it will be easier for you to find the classes which you want or need to take - putting better filter options and such in place so you can see what's new / interesting. That's coming soon. We're also working on the re-cert boxes to help you know what's required and how to pick your electives which can be applied.

That brings me to your actual question. It looks like you took XAM320 .. but you'd already taken it and so the system didn't apply it. The rules I gave to the team were six classes taken in the year, either live or Self-Guided that you have not taken before. That last part is why you didn't get the re-cert credit for XAM320. However, I'm thinking it's been long enough since you took it the first go-around that it probably should count. Do you feel like you gained additional knowledge by taking it again? E.g. was it a helpful refresher? I'm wondering if we should tweak the rule and just put a time period in between re-takes.

Regardless, I'm going to change the record so it applies and you will maintain your certification status - feel free to link the verification page and let the world know you are awesome :)

Thank you for being a long-time XamU customer - we are constantly trying to improve the system to make you a better mobile developer and help you reach your goals. If you ever have any problems, comments, or suggestions, let me know.

Mark Smith
    Xamarin University | Program Manager

Hi @MarkSmith.8123,

Thanks for the prompt and detailed response - much appreciated.

As you say, I had taken XAM320 before but that was back in March 2015 and things have moved on considerably since then - especially with Xamarin.Forms.

Retaking the class was very useful and as I am currently scoping out my first XF project (all my previous work has been with Xamarin.Android and Xamarin.IOS) it was a non-brainer when I had to select an additional session to make up my re-certification quota. I was not aware that I needed to take a class that I had never taken before for it to be counted.

I've been registered with Xamarin University for some time now and have completed a large number of the available classes so allowing (requiring?) some to be retaken over time would be a useful tweak to your business rules.

Thanks again for your response
    Dave

• MarkSmith.8123MarkSmith.8123 USXamarin Team, University, XamUProfessors Xamurai

You bet. I'll think on the rules for that, some classes change dramatically over time, others do not .. right now we don't have a "versioning" tag on classes - but we need one (it's in the plan). Thanks for the input.

I fixed your record, in a hacky sort of way; but you should now have all six requirements completed. Give the system a little bit to actually renew certification (it's a back end job that runs periodically in Azure). You should be golden.

Thanks!
    mark

One final thing, when the portal was indicating that I needed to complete another class there was a link saying 'Find your next class' (or similar).
    Clicking it took me to a full list of classes - but if it displayed a list of eligible classes (maybe with some explanation text) then that may avoid some confusion.
    Just a thought ;-)

Yep, it's something we've definitely talked about. In fact, the whole "course list" experience is going to get a face lift. I want the ability to search, filter, sort, and group entries so I can find exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the suggestion!