After iOS11 Visual Studio for Mac doesn't work

Today I updated Visual Studio for Mac with the new version for iOS 11 and my mac. After that Visual Studio is not usable anymore. I can open it but if I try to open a solution or create one, it's stuck on Update resources.

The only way is to force quit.

In attach my logs.

Answers

• JGoldbergerJGoldberger USXamarin Team, University Xamurai

@EnricoRossini

I could not reproduce this issue from your description. I just updated to the latest stable with support for iOS 11 and was able to create a new Xamarin solution without issue.

Did you update XCode as well?

Also the logs will not have been updated when you force quit, so to get more complete logs by forcing a log dump before the IDE exits can you do the following while Visual Studio is frozen:

1. Open Terminal
    2. Enter the following command to get the PID (Process ID) for VisualStudio
      ps -ax | grep "VisualStudio"
    3. you should get a result like the following:
      10356 ?? 0:09.33 /Applications/Visual Studio.app/Contents/MacOS/VisualStudio
      10383 ttys000 0:00.00 grep VisualStudio
    4. The leftmost number next to /Applications/Visual Studio.app/Contents/MacOS/VisualStudio is the PID
    5. Enter the following command in Terminal to force a log dump replace pid with the PID from step 4:
      kill -QUIT pid
    6. Attach the new IDE logs.
  • EnricoRossiniEnricoRossini USMember ✭✭✭

Thank you @JGoldberger. Unfortunately, I reinstalled Visual Studio and not it is working. In any case, I updated also XCode.

• JGoldbergerJGoldberger USXamarin Team, University Xamurai

Glad to hear it. If you experience the issue again, please do collect the logs as indicated so we can investigate. Thanks!