Buildingproblem after update to IOS 11

swizzyswizzy CHMember ✭✭
edited September 20 in Xamarin.iOS

Hi

I have updated my system to IOS 11. Visualstidio for Windows with all newest xamarin updates, Mac os Sierra is up to date and Xcode is the newest Version.

My Problem:
-Building on Real Device work
-Build on simulator not work:
Error error HE0046: Failed to install the app 'ch.ABC' on the device 'iOS 11.0 (15A372) - iPhone 6 Plus': lstat of /Users/administrator/Library/Caches/Xamarin/mtbs/builds/ABC/a3481f272dab3f68e6e828203695f442/bin/iPhoneSimulator/Debug/ABC.app failed: No such file or directory

I even made the whole provisioning completely new. No effect.

Has anyone an idea what could be the problem here?

Edit: breakpoints do not work when debugging on the device...

thanks
Andreas

Tagged:

Answers

• Having the same issue. I'll let you know if I find anything.

• TylerKostuchTylerKostuch USMember
    edited September 22

I'm having the same problem as well. I'll post a solution if I find one.

Edit: This is only happening to one iOS project. I have three other projects (and I just created a new iOS project for testing things) and they all work.

• TylerKostuchTylerKostuch USMember
    edited September 22

Ok, so I found a solution.

Go to the iOS Project Options (right click the project, select options), go to Output.

Change the output path to something else. I changed mine to /Users/tkostuch/test/

Hopefully that works for you guys too!

• swizzyswizzy CHMember ✭✭
    edited September 25

@ TylerKonstuch I have the path bin\iPhoneSimulator\Debug\ this is only the path on my local windows.. New Projects Work perfect, in the VS for Mac work this project perfect. Wehn i build in VS for windows and debug, terminate after a while with the No such file or directory error.. The file in /Users/administrator/Library/Caches/Xamarin/mtbs/builds/ABC/a3481f272dab3f68e6e828203695f442/bin/iPhoneSimulator/Debug/ABC.app on the mac exist. wehn i move the .app file to the simulator (drag and drop) the app is installed normality. So I can try the app but not debug :-(

It seems like the framework with ios 11 would choose the wrong path..:
    https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/100384/building-an-ios-project-from-command-line

further from the build-log:
    System.IO.FileNotFoundException: The file '/Users/administrator/Library/Caches/Xamarin/mtbs/builds/ABC/a3481f272dab3f68e6e828203695f442/obj/iPhoneSimulator/Debug/build-signature/signature' was not found on the Mac (this file exist on the mac on this path)
    File name: '/Users/administrator/Library/Caches/Xamarin/mtbs/builds/ABC/a3481f272dab3f68e6e828203695f442/obj/iPhoneSimulator/Debug/build-signature/signature'
    at Xamarin.Messaging.Ssh.MessagingFileManager.d__11.MoveNext() in C:\d\lanes\5126\bd7e3753\source\xamarinvs\src\Messaging\Xamarin.Messaging.Ssh\MessagingFileManager.cs:line 171

• jamoclejamocle USMember ✭✭

This is the exact same behavior for me. I tried changing the output path to something else in VS (Windows) and to no avail. I am getting the following in my logs...

Xamarin.Messaging.Exceptions.MonotouchException: error HE0046: Failed to install the app '' on the device 'iOS 11.0 (15A372) - iPhone SE': lstat of /Users//Library/Caches/Xamarin/mtbs/builds/My.Mobile.Apps..iOS/83cad2a171e1fe16878fe0e3efb5ddaa/bin/iPhSim/Debug/My.Mobile.Apps..iOS.app failed: No such file or directory

Help is much appreciated! I lost 11 hours on this on Friday.

TylerKostuch, PLease elaborate on how you solved this in your VS (Windows).

Xamarin Mods...Help Please!!

Also in the Xamarin Output I get the following...

Launching '' on 'iPhone SE iOS 11.0'...
    The app has been terminated.
    Launch failed. The app '' could not be launched on 'iPhone SE iOS 11.0'. Error: error HE0046: Failed to install the app '' on the device 'iOS 11.0 (15A372) - iPhone SE': lstat of /Users//Library/Caches/Xamarin/mtbs/builds//83cad2a171e1fe16878fe0e3efb5ddaa/bin/iPhoneSumulator/Debug/.app failed: No such file or directory
    . Please check the logs for more details.
    The app has been terminated.

Please note the path is correct and the files do actually exist in that location. (I removed the appname from the post because my company won't allow me to post it)

@ jamocle
    new Projects work?
    I have now moved to visual studio for mac thats work for me. I hope xamarin fix this error soon as possible..

• suriyasuriya USMember

me to having the same problem. Old project not able to run in simulator

Xamarin, Your silence is deafening.

@ swizzy, My timeline is too tight to try to move to a new platform like VS for Mac.

@ jamocle
    Install visual studio for mac, move the complete projectfolder to mac, open the project and run.
    It's very simple. max 1-2h
    Either you change or you make a downgrade. I do not think that a fix of xamarin will come soon...

@ swizzy, Why do you feel an update will not come soon from Xamarin? What is your insight here?

• JohnMillerJohnMiller USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited September 26

Hello All,

I'm not sure what is going on here when working in Visual Studio on Windows. To help gather more information, please upload and attach your diagnostic build logs. If they contain private information about your project name, please send it to me directly in a message (attach as a file, it's too long to paste). Please also include your version information to this thread so I can verify what is hitting this issue.

To get full build logs just set the log verbosity to diagnostic at the following locations:
    - On Visual Studio for Mac: Preferences > Projects > Build
    - On Visual Studio for Windows: Tools > Options > Projects and Solutions > Build and Run

On Visual Studio Windows you also want to add `-v -v -v -v` to the mtouch additional arguments by right-clicking the project in the solution explorer and selecting `Properties`.
    Note: this is done automatically on Visual Studio for Mac when the log verbosity is set to diagnostic.

Easiest way to get exact version information:
    - On Visual Studio for Mac: "Visual Studio" menu, "About Visual Studio" item, "Show Details" button.
    - On Visual Studio for Windows: "Help menu", "About Microsoft Visual Studio" item.
    Then copy/paste the version information (you can use the "Copy Information" button).

Please also make sure you have tried some basic steps like deleting the bin and obj folders. Also, clear the cache on the Mac just to be sure it's not related to that (delete ~/Users/Library/Caches/Xamarin/mtbs/builds). Make sure the Mac and Windows machines are up-to-date with the latest Stable versions of Xamarin.iOS and Xcode 9.

CC @swizzy @jamocle @suriya @VictorJohnson

@JohnMiller Stupid question. How do I message you? Thank you for your help as my productivity has severely plummeted since Friday at 8:00AM when this all started with XCode and Xamarin upgrade

@jamocle,

Click my name above my portrait here to view my profile, then click the "Message" button on the upper right.

All, Fixed!!! I did what John suggested above which was to delete both cache's (Win and Mac). I believe deleting my OBJ's was probably what did it since I have cleaned my solution tons of times trying to fix this issue but that does not blitz the obj folder.

@ JohnMiller: I have sent my log via private message.
    obj and bin folder delete has no effect.

I have started with the project a year ago and always have this and other problems when developing on visual studio (windows):
    https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/98889/visual-studio-connection-lost-to-mac#latest
    https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/86849/one-or-more-error-occured-storyboards-loading-more-than-30min#latest
    ect...

once I had to create a new project and copy-paste everything because nothing worked. So it worked again and now at the next update again a problem...

I have visual studio and xamarin completely re-installed on mac and windows. Now everything seems to work...

• ScottColestock.9633ScottColestock.9633 USUniversity ✭✭

I've tried a complete uninstall (via the provided shell script) and a reinstall of vstudio mac. However, I'm still getting the "error HE0046: Failed to install the app" failure mode. I'd be very interested if there are other solutions to try...
    (I've already tried renaming output path, etc. as described above without any effect.)

edited October 3

My temporary "fix" for this issue (after trying all suggestions above, building clean, manually deleting paths, and even a full uninstall/reinstall of vstudio mac...) was to go to XCode, Preferences, Components, and download the 10.3.1 simulator.

Launching with that in VStudio Mac allows my app to start/debug fine.

To be clear, a brand new wizard-generated project launches fine with iOS 11 simulator. I spent a long while comparing what might be different in my "real" project in the csproj and other project-related files. I tried changing several of the differences but couldn't change the broken behavior. I'm going to assume Xamarin will find/fix this issue at some point and stick with the 10.3.1 simulator for now.

• KevinFordKevinFord USUniversity, Certified XTC Partners ✭✭✭

After fighting with this for a week I finally resorted to @ScottColestock.9633's answer. As he states it is a workaround but it "fixed it" for me and got me going again.

@JohnMiller are you still looking for additional diagnostic build logs on this issue, or do you have what you need at this point ?

@ScottColestock.9633

No, I don't have enough to debug this yet. Feel free to send me your diagnostic logs and I can get an issue filed.

• _albertoms_albertoms MXUniversity ✭✭

I solved the problem by fixing some directory names that still had my old app namespace after changing it a few months ago. Before the change, my folders were named something like MyApp.Service/. Then I changed that to App.Service/, but some of them still had the MyApp.*/ style. I updated the name of these folders on Git, also removed the bin/ and obj/ folders, closed and opened Visual Studio and that was it.

I also tried to run the app using the simulator with iOS 10.3 and it worked, but digging a bit further led me to discover these folder names inconsistencies.

• AlexAbreuAlexAbreu USMember

I did clean the cache folder on Mac and it works like a charm