Stable Channel (and VS 2017): 15.3.5 Release for iOS 11 & Xcode 9 SDK bindings

BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Please see https://releases.xamarin.com/stable-release-15-3-5-with-xcode-9-support for the details about this release, including the steps to update or downgrade as needed.

This release is now available as part of Visual Studio 2017 version 15.3.5 and in the Stable updater channels for Visual Studio 2017 for Mac and Xamarin for Visual Studio 2015.

Bug reports wanted!

• Please file a quick bug report using the "15.3 Release" new bug form if you see any suspicious behavior in these versions that you wish to report.

• If you get any errors when using the form to submit, please select the All Products option and choose the desired product.
  • Comment in this forum thread if your question is not related to a suspicious behavior after download, but instead one of the following:

• You notice an error in the Release Blog post.
    • You have trouble downloading one of the installer packages.

• softlionsoftlion FRBeta ✭✭✭

Can not open the visual studio installer or the "extensions and updates" dialog anymore with this VS update.

System.ArgumentException: An item with the same key has already been added.
           à System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentException(ExceptionResource resource)
           à System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Insert(TKey key, TValue value, Boolean add)
           à System.Linq.Enumerable.ToDictionary[TSource,TKey,TElement](IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 keySelector, Func`2 elementSelector, IEqualityComparer`1 comparer)
           à Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Cache.CacheRepository.GetAvailablePackages(IEqualityComparer`1 comparer)
           à Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Cache.CacheRepository.GetAvailablePackages(Boolean allPackages)
           à Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Engine.Initialize()
           à Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Engine.GetProducts()
           à Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.ProductInstaller.InitializeProductAndDependencyGraph()
           à Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.ProductInstaller.GetProductDependencyGraph(Boolean deepDetection)
           à Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.ProductInstaller.GetSerializableInstalledProduct()
           à Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.InstalledProductsProviderService.GetInstalledProduct(String installationPath, Boolean withUpdatePackages)

• BorisSpinnerBorisSpinner DEMember
    edited September 20

(don't have my bugzilla account details at hand right now, sorry)

After updating VSforMac and Xcode, Xamarin.UITest cannot start simulators anymore:

SetUp : Xamarin.UITest.XDB.Exceptions.DeviceAgentException : Failed to install DeviceAgent

ExitCode: 1

-c,--codesign-identity    <codesign-identifier> [OPTIONAL]     Identity used to codesign app bundle [device only]. Deprecated - should use profile path.    DEFAULT=
            -d,--device-id    <device-identifier>    iOS Simulator GUID or 40-digit physical device ID
            -i,--resources-path    <resources-path> [OPTIONAL]     Path to resources (executables) to inject into app directory. A list of colon separated files may be specified.
            -p,--profile-path    <profile-path> [OPTIONAL]     Path to provisioning profile
            -u,--update-app    <should-update-app> [OPTIONAL]     When true, will reinstall the app if the device contains an older version than the bundle specified    DEFAULT=1
        install <app-path>
    Simulator D36E85A6-B2F5-45A5-880B-4B97BE928E28 must be booted to install an app - found state: Shutting Down

• softlionsoftlion FRBeta ✭✭✭

@softlion said:
    Can not open the visual studio installer or the "extensions and updates" dialog anymore with this VS update.

Fixed by removing VS via the cleaning tool and reinstalling the whole 16Gb.

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

An item with the same key has already been added.

For a small piece of follow-up on this error, I ran across this myself today when updating an installation that had the (now outdated) Xcode 9 GM IDE compatibility .vsix installed. This seems to be an issue with that particular .vsix installer. I have created an internal bug for the team to request investigation of that behavior, with a recommendation that it be addressed before any similar combined .vsix installers (that download a set of other .vsix installers) are used again in the future.

• DominicNDominicN USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, University Xamurai

@BorisSpinner thank you very much for the report. Currently, UITest issues are handled through the Test Cloud support team and are not tracked through Bugzilla. In order for us to assist in investigation of your issue, could you navigate to testcloud.xamarin.com then click the "Support" link up at the top right of the page to submit your issue? That'll get the issue to the Test Cloud team who will be able to assist further.

I hope this helps!

edited September 22

Xamarin.UITest.XDB.Exceptions.DeviceAgentException : Failed to install DeviceAgent

In case it's also helpful, a new version of the Xamarin.UITest NuGet package (version 2.1.2) was just published within the last day with fixes for running on iOS 11 simulators: https://www.nuget.org/packages/Xamarin.UITest/2.1.2.

• AndersOAndersO SEMember

Still having problems with release builds, this solved it for me using previous version of Xamarin Studio:
    https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=58264
    Can you please fix this in the xcode9 branch as well?

• DonCB2BDonCB2B USMember ✭✭

After update,

"C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Xamarin\iOS\Xamarin.iOS.Common.targets(586,3): error : The Apple iOS SDK is not installed."

Both Xcode 9 and Xamarin Studio is update and restarted, Visual studio is update and restarted as well. Still got error. Double check with SDK path "/Applications/Xcode.app" it the same one on Xamarin studio.

• DonCB2BDonCB2B USMember ✭✭

I fixed my problem by reinstalling Xcode. My guess is updating Xcode might mess up SDK library path.

https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=58264
    Can you please fix this in the xcode9 branch as well?

In case using the Xamarin 15.4 Preview might be an option for you, the new Beta release from yesterday with (Xamarin.iOS 11.2) now includes the Xcode 9 compatibility changes and would (at least in theory) also include fix for Bug 58264. That Preview build is now in the last few weeks to close in on Stable.

• chuckctichuckcti USMember ✭✭

I'm running Visual Studio Professional 2015 (Version 14.0.25420.01 Update 3) for Windows. My Xamarin Update channel is set to Stable, and that dialog indicates Xamarin 4.7.9.45 status is "Download completed. Pending to install.) But selecting the "Install" button seems to do nothing, So I'm not sure how to actually install the update. I've rebooted my PC a couple of times and also logged out and back into the Xamarin account. Any suggestions?

dialog indicates Xamarin 4.7.9.45 status is "Download completed. Pending to install.) But selecting the "Install" button seems to do nothing

You might also be able to work around the problem by running the cached downloaded installer by hand, located in:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\MonoDevelop-4.0\Cache\TempDownload

For further investigation in case that is unsuccessful, you can file a quick bug report using the "15.3 Release" new bug form. Thanks in advance!

(For quick reference, I double-checked the update behavior briefly in one local test Visual Studio 2015 environment, starting with Xamarin 4.6.3.4 for Visual Studio 2015, downloading the update, and then clicking the Install button. The installer ran as expected for that quick test, so I expect there are some specific environment details needed to hit the issue. The team can help investigate further on a bug report.)

• chuckctichuckcti USMember ✭✭

You might also be able to work around the problem by running the cached downloaded installer by hand, located in:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\MonoDevelop-4.0\Cache\TempDownload

This worked out great! Thanks for the suggestion. I'm able to build and run Android and iOS app versions.

This discussion has been closed.