Enterprise Edition VS4Mac From VS Community Edition version 7.2 (Preview)

Okay i read on the Web all i need to do to upgrade to my Enterprise Edition was to log on to VS Community Edition (7.2 Preview) with my MSDN enterprise license.
Hey Xamarin: My Community Edition (Preview 7.2) does not require a login. :( What are they talking about?

I have MSDN Enterprise license. Is that the correct license?

I tried the link for download:https://www.visualstudio.com/thank-you-downloading-visual-studio-mac/?sku=enterprisemac&rel=15 used the link for Enterprise edition at lower right. opened the dmg Disk image. It told me I was all up to date and did nothing. Please help me get the best verion as I have paid for it.

Kind Regards, and Thanks in advance
Mark

Best Answers

• JohnHairJohnHair John Hair GBMember ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 19 Accepted Answer

@MarkWardell I suggest you re-read Jon's post above.
    I think he was suggesting you sign in to Visual Studio for Mac. Click the Visual Studio menu option, then click Sign In...

Answers

• JGoldbergerJGoldberger Jon Goldberger USXamarin Team, University Xamurai

What happens when you try to sign in with the Visual Studio -> Sign in.. menu using your MSDN Enterprise credentials?

There is no separate download for the Community vs. the Enterprise edition. Which edition you get is based purely on your MSDN Subscription level. E.g. no MSDN subscription then you get Community edition, if signed in with MSDN Enterprise Subscription then you should see the Enterprise edition of Visual Studio for Mac.

And it is true that the Community edition does not require a log in, but the Enterprise edition does.

• MarkWardellMarkWardell Mark Wardell USUniversity ✭✭

Thanks Jon: I have tried again doing download making sure I was logged in to my Enterprise MSDN account as i pressed the download button., So it downloaded the dmg and opened the Installer and told me I was All up to date nothing to install. I still need help on getting what i paid for. Kind Regards,
    Mark Wardell

I DID NOT get it done and it is kinda painful and deeply flawed,,, The installation DMG should be named differently... My Uninstall was performed via bash https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/103486/enterprise-edition-vs4mac-from-vs-community-edition-version-7-2-preview#latest . then downloaded and it still gives me the Community Edition of VS4Mac.... How to get Enterprise Edition grrrrrrr?

• coolrjmcoolrjm Rajesh Mo INMember ✭✭✭

Hi,

Please try this link

https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/

Select the macOS tab.

Scroll down and you will be able to see the download links for various versions. Choose the enterprise edition. It might detect the Community Edition and ask if you want to perform an in place upgrade.

Thanks,

Rajesh.

• JohnHairJohnHair John Hair GBMember ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 19 Accepted Answer

@MarkWardell I suggest you re-read Jon's post above.
    I think he was suggesting you sign in to Visual Studio for Mac. Click the Visual Studio menu option, then click Sign In...

edited September 19

@coolrjm

Actually all of those all download exactly the same installer dmg file, so the only thing that differentiates the version you get is the credentials used to sign in to the Visual Studio for Mac IDE, using the Visual Studio -> Sign in... menu in Visual Studio for Mac.

If you don;t believe they are all the same, download each one and run an md5 hash on the downloaded files. they are exactly the same:

$ md5 /Users/jongoldberger/Downloads/KeepForNow/VisualStudioInstaller.dmg 
    MD5 (/Users/jongoldberger/Downloads/KeepForNow/VisualStudioInstaller.dmg) = 9ea34281959290371d7f585395c1c576

------------------------------------------------------------
    $ md5 /Users/jongoldberger/Downloads/KeepForNow/VisualStudioInstallerPro.dmg 
    MD5 (/Users/jongoldberger/Downloads/KeepForNow/VisualStudioInstallerPro.dmg) = 9ea34281959290371d7f585395c1c576

------------------------------------------------------------
    $ md5 /Users/jongoldberger/Downloads/KeepForNow/VisualStudioInstallerEnt.dmg 
    MD5 (/Users/jongoldberger/Downloads/KeepForNow/VisualStudioInstallerEnt.dmg) = 9ea34281959290371d7f585395c1c576

Thanks Jon: I had read your initial answer to indicate somehow that it mattered being signed in as my MSDN at time of download. Please recall that setup/first start never prompts for login on VS4Mac. This was a bunch of work for nothing. It is still mystifying that the web team has 3 different links that do the same. why not use that place on web for a single link with instructions nearby? I am all good now... and thanks again....

• coolrjmcoolrjm Rajesh Mo INMember ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a doubt regarding upgrading from Community Edition on Mac to Enterprise Edition. Can it be done with out uninstalling the Community Edition and just logging in to Visual Studio - Community Edition to upgrade to Enterprise Edition.

Thanks,

Rajesh

@coolrjm

Yes, it should be the case that logging in to Visual Studio for Mac with an Enterprise Visual Studio subscription should give you the Enterprise features of Visual Studio for Mac.