Xamarin.iOS file size is too big. Tried all the possible options

MudiyalaMudiyala USMember ✭✭
edited September 18 in Xamarin.iOS

Hello,

Project structure with PCL based approach:

Project X (solution)

• Core (Base project with autofac for Ioc based setup)
  • Project (90% of code common for droid and ios)
  • Project.Droid (Droid settings, renderers and graphics. )
  • Project.iOS (iOS settings, renderers and graphics. )

I have gone through all possible options to reduce ipa file size. esp with linking.
I have used 'Link all' and stripping debug code, optimizing image etc.

Final ipa size is 77 MB.

Here are the details of file sizes after exploring package contents. I am using arch 7 and 64.

** Project.iOS is 42 MB**
This is bothering. Since I can see dll's and images separately along with this file. Not sure why its taking so much space. Can I reduce the size of it ? This is my priority

dll's are about 15 MB
(Xamarin forms, maps, other third party libraries. Since I am targeting for 7 and 64. I see libraryX.dll, libraryX.aotdata.arm64, libraryX.aotdata.arm7)
This is right I believe.

Images are about 20 MB

I am planning to reduce even further by using 'https://tinypng.com/' to flaten and putting all images assets for 'thinning'. Also probably wants to use on demand resources option but its low priority

Please let me know. Any help / suggestion would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Best Answers

• MudiyalaMudiyala USMember ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Thanks Jon.

When I uploaded ipa for store submission it showed me slices range from 66 to 80 MB based on device types.

Also I did check those links earlier. I did create base app which takes 28MB for .iOS. Its taking 42 MB for my project. So not much I can do. Will keep posted if I can able trim little more.

But I was able to trim 67% of size for images with above mentioned approach.

Answers

• MudiyalaMudiyala USMember ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Thanks Jon.

When I uploaded ipa for store submission it showed me slices range from 66 to 80 MB based on device types.

Also I did check those links earlier. I did create base app which takes 28MB for .iOS. Its taking 42 MB for my project. So not much I can do. Will keep posted if I can able trim little more.

But I was able to trim 67% of size for images with above mentioned approach.