Can i build Xamarin.Mac(Cocoa) applications using Visual Studio for Mac

matrixermatrixer matrix manUSMember ✭✭
edited September 9 in Xamarin.Mac

I just downloaded VS for Mac.I cannot find the project template for Cocoa based applications.Cant i create the UI in XCODE and code stuff in VS like i used to do with Xamarin Studio?

I need to develop applications for Desktop-OSX.

Please advice.

Tagged:

• TimothyRisiTimothyRisi Timothy Risi USXamarin Team Xamurai

When you create a New Project, on the left hand side when choosing a Template, you should see a Mac category with sections for App or Library. If you select 'App', it will give you an option to create a 'Cocoa App'. After creating the app. if you double click on the Main.storyboard file (or a storyboard you add yourself), it will launch Xcode to use the designer.

• matrixermatrixer matrix man USMember ✭✭

@TimothyRisi said:
    When you create a New Project, on the left hand side when choosing a Template, you should see a Mac category with sections for App or Library. If you select 'App', it will give you an option to create a 'Cocoa App'. After creating the app. if you double click on the Main.storyboard file (or a storyboard you add yourself), it will launch Xcode to use the designer.

thanks.. seems like i need xcode installed to see this template... right?

• TimothyRisiTimothyRisi Timothy Risi USXamarin Team Xamurai

Yes, you need xcode installed to build macOS (or iOS) apps. Also, if you dont' see the template, it's possible you didn't install the Xamarin.Mac SDKs when you installed VSfM. If you go into "Visual Studio" menu -> "About Visual Studio", then click "Show Details", you can see the version info for all of the installed SDKs. Look there to see if Xamarin.Mac is installed.