Storyboard error message: Custom components are not being rendered because problems were detected

MarcusIMarcusI SEMember ✭✭

I have a IOS project which I haven't opened for about a year and it was developed using Xamarin for Visual Studio 2013. Now I have to make some changes to the app and after some problems compiling the project I installed all available updates for Xamarin and Visual Studio 2013, but that only made things worse so I decided to install Visual Studio 2015 and update the Mac and Xcode to the latest version.

Installing VS2015 seemed to solve all my previous problems and I can now compile the project and run it fine, but when I open a Storyboard in the project I get a yellow warning bar at the top that says Custom components are not being rendered because problems were detected.

I have no idea why this message appears since I only use standard components (or maybe "components" means something else than those in the Toolbox?). Does anyone know what the reason for this message is? How can I troubleshoot and get rid of it?

Best Answer

• MarcusIMarcusI SE ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Just thought I'd give an update and I don't know which version of Xamarin fixed this issue but now I run Xamarin.iOS version 11.8.0.20 (according to Visual Studio) and I no longer get the warning message. I didn't change anything myself.

Answers

• ChrisColeTechChrisColeTech USMember ✭✭✭

I'm also interested in this as I am seeing the same thing.

This probably will not be fixed until the next lunar eclipse...but I'll still keep an eye on this issue.

• JGoldbergerJGoldberger USMember, Forum Administrator, Xamarin Team, University Xamurai

I saw a report of this error happening if the ViewDidLoad method of the view controller class(es) used in the stroyboard call an async method (or perhaps other API) that can cause the designer to crash. See: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/25825424/in-xamarin-ios-designer-how-can-i-prevent-code-from-being-run-in-viewdidload

• MarcusIMarcusI SEMember ✭✭

I had a call to an async method in one of the controller's ViewDidLoad, but commenting that line out did nothing. The designer doesn't crash either and everything seems to work fine except for the warning message.

Btw, why is ViewDidLoad called in the storyboard designer? I might need to put all kinds of code in those methods.

• ChrisColeTechChrisColeTech USMember ✭✭✭

im back after updating to xamarin.iOS 11 with a status update.

• MarcusIMarcusI SEMember ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Just thought I'd give an update and I don't know which version of Xamarin fixed this issue but now I run Xamarin.iOS version 11.8.0.20 (according to Visual Studio) and I no longer get the warning message. I didn't change anything myself.

• DivyeshBhatt.3318DivyeshBhatt.3318 USMember ✭✭
    edited March 13

@MarcusI I'm having same problem and my Xamarin.iOS version is 12.2.1.15 (Visual Studio Community)

• JGoldbergerJGoldberger USMember, Forum Administrator, Xamarin Team, University Xamurai

@DivyeshBhatt.3318

I am not able to reproduce the issue with the same iOS version. Do you have any custom components?

It may be best for you to open a one on one email support case with the MS Xamarin support team so we can investigate and see if there is a bug that we need to address. Since I cannot reproduce the issue with a template project, we would need to get a test project from you that demonstrates the issue so we can see what may be causing this issue.

You can open a free Xamarin support case here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/supportforbusiness/productselection?sapId=211dd84f-3474-c3c5-79bf-66db630c92a6