PCL vs SCL

Recently I've found that the Portable Class Libraries are becoming obsolete and the new "better way" is to use the Standard Class Libs.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/standard/net-standard

So the question is: which should I use? Should I care at the moment about those 2 or just stick to the PCL?
Are there any crucial differences when coding the SCL?

Let's discuss :)

• kentuckerkentucker USMember ✭✭✭✭

Standard Libraries are the future. The biggest difference is a standard library says it is going to have a list of functions available while the pcl lets you use the functions that are in all platforms the pcl is supporting. With .net standard 2 which was recently released you are large amount of the .net framework available to you.

• christopherpolskachristopherpolska PLUniversity ✭✭✭

Okay, do we know when the PCL are going to be deprecated ? Meaning that they won't be available in Visual Studio or generally when talking about cross-platform we will hear "SCL" and not the "PCL" ?

• kentuckerkentucker USMember ✭✭✭✭

As of VS 2017 version 15.3 you can still create the portable class library but if you look at the pcl's properties you can see a message pcl are obsolete. In previous versions of vs 2017 you had a link to convert the pcl to a standard library. This was removed in 15.3. The current pre-released version of xamarin forms supports standard libraries. I would suspect that once this version of xamarin forms is released there will be an update to the templates which allows you to select standard library (instead of pcl) or shared project. I have no idea how long the pcl template will still be there.

• christopherpolskachristopherpolska PLUniversity ✭✭✭

I might have an update regarding this topic: the update for Xamarin.Forms should be released end of this quarter - the Xamarin.Forms 2.4 should contain the SCL as default :)