NSUserDefaults data sharing between Today Extension and Parent App

tomkou4tomkou4 USMember

Hello! I am working on the Today Extension project to my iOS App. And I am trying to achieve data sharing between them. I have added the App Groups possibility to App ID's to both projects. I have tried using the NSUserDefaults with the App Group ID, and interestingly I can share the data within a project (either Parent App or Today Extension) this way, but not between them. Am I missing something? Since both projects can use this App Group ID to share data within themselves, how is it not possible to share between them? Should I allow the external access somewhere?

Answers

• DannyCDannyC US ✭✭✭✭
  • ramonesteban78ramonesteban78 ESUniversity ✭✭

I'm having similar issues.
    I have followed all the steps described here: https://github.com/rolfbjarne/todaysharing/blob/master/README.md

I have added the group app in the Entitlements.plist on both projects.

But I'm not able to share info in the NSUserDefaults.

Did you find a solution in your case?

• ramonesteban78ramonesteban78 ESUniversity ✭✭

I solved. What an silly error I was making!!

Make sure in the properties of both projects, in the section iOS Bundle Sining, the Custom Entitlements field is informed with your Entitlements.plist file.

• MANISH1988MANISH1988 Member
    edited April 2018

I am having same issue unable to get the data from App Extension to App Container via NSUserDefaults
    I have already checked the pList and App Group Id

Here is my following code

private void saveDataForContainerApp()
                {
                    NSUserDefaults myDefaults = new NSUserDefaults("group.com.compnyname.appname");
                    myDefaults.SetString(mainObject, "contentKey"); 
                    myDefaults.SetURL(mainURL, "contentURL"); 
                    myDefaults.Synchronize();

}

In Container App

if(myDefaults2 == null)
                {
                    myDefaults2 = new NSUserDefaults("group.com.compnyname.appname", NSUserDefaultsType.SuiteName);
                }
                Console.WriteLine("Testing defaults content Container " + myDefaults2.StringForKey("contentKey"));
                Console.WriteLine("Testing defaults content Container " + myDefaults2.StringForKey("contentURL"));

Please let me know what can be the cause, If I am trying to print the data from user defaults in extension app it is working properly but I am unable to get the data in Container's App.

• Cdn_EuroCdn_Euro Member ✭✭✭

@MANISH1988 Did you get it working? I am trying to solve the same problem. I am trying to access NSUserDefaults in an Extension app. What is the code to store in the Xamarin iOS Project and retrieve in the Extension. Is the above code correct?