More love for desktop/laptop

ShimmyWeitzhandlerShimmyWeitzhandler USMember ✭✭✭
edited August 24 in Xamarin.Forms Evolution

Xamarin.Forms was initially created for mobile, but this has changed.
XF is supports Windows desktop, and is soon to support WPF, Linux, macOS and perhaps more desktop types, in addition to its support for tablets, that naturally has a larger screen.

That raises the need for some missing features:

• More layout types suitable for larger screens: WrapPanel, horizontal ListView, ItemsControl (from WPF), especially with title etc.
  • More desktop oriented controls, such as CheckBox, RadioButton, StatusBar, more flexibility in TabbedPage title
  • More desktop oriented events in any view, such as double-click, key-combination interception (i.e. Ctrl+E and other shortcuts interception, mnemonics etc.
0 votes

Open · Last Updated

• ShimmyWeitzhandlerShimmyWeitzhandler USMember ✭✭✭
    edited August 24

Forgot to mention (WTF post can only be edited for 4 hours, never getting the point of this, at least make this valid only there are no follow up posts):

• Tooltips
    • Popups/on-screen balloons (i.e. open advanced search settings) etc.
    • Toolbars/ribbons

Really you guys at Xamarin have to escape the mobile shell you're stuck in. XF should be the natural option for any mobile AND desktop developer, and aim to provide a feature-set like UWP does, you have to grow up. I do believe it's also MS who has to give you more love in manpower.

• BradChase.2654BradChase.2654 USMember ✭✭✭

Dont forget to add Cursor to the list. :)

• LorenoArlaLorenoArla USMember ✭✭

First I would suggest the team to fix the bugs (tons of them in Xamarin) before doing anything new.

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

@LorenoArla said:
    First I would suggest the team to fix the bugs (tons of them in Xamarin) before doing anything new.

This is a comment many of us have said, many times, in many threads - I love Xamarin as a platform - but this idea of fixing what is broken before piling on more new features... well... let's just say it doesn't resonate with whomever is making the roadmap.

• LorenoArlaLorenoArla USMember ✭✭

@ClintStLaurent said:

@LorenoArla said:

This is a comment many of us have said, many times, in many threads - I love Xamarin as a platform - but this idea of fixing what is broken before piling on more new features... well... let's just say it doesn't resonate with whomever is making the roadmap.

Which for me is really surprising. It looks like noone in Microsoft is really doing anything using Xamarin - the whole product is just marketed as an available solution, but the truth is: IT IS AN UNFINISHED PRODUCT.
    I think that whoever manages this thing should really start to do his job properly.

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

To be fair - Everything is an unfinished product. Facebook is an unfinished product - but people still use it. Yet it is undergoing constant bug fixes and new feature additions. Every week its another 345mb update download on my iPhone.

You have to remember that Xamarin was a completely separate company building an eco-system all on its own. Then it was bought by Microsoft. And the entire user community expected some growing pains. Nothing happens over night. Heck it takes 6 months just to get everyone the permissions and credentials and so on.

But... Its been a long time now. Long enough to start giving fair appraisal of the acquisition as seen from outside eyes.

• Bugs don't seem to be getting fixed.
    • Bugs don't seem to be getting prioritized in a way that matches current users. IE: The huge existing base of XAML/MVVM users that have expectations stemming from WPF - and the experience to really make Xamarin work.
    • New features are being piled on that the experienced people don't give a cr@p about - and often piled on system that aren't finished. In what feels like a bid to get even more users. For example: They are trying to pile on CSS style sheets as a way to style a Xamarin view - But there are plenty of bugs in the existing style infrastructure that you would expect have to be fixed first. But hey, it will get web builders on board so who cares if it works? The important thing is to sell more Azure service subscriptions.
    • Microsoft clearly is not giving enough additional man-power to this system. They opened it up as 'open-source' and seem to be hoping the community will do most of their work for them.

In the mean time - The 10-year experienced WPF builders are getting sick of waiting and watching while bugzillas sit for 18 months with no movement. and rather than being the strongest advocates and evangelists for Xamarin, they're starting to walk away and going back to pure WPF building and not worrying about iOS and Android. If they want cross-platform then they say "Build a web-app and run it through a browser". With an attitude of "I'll come back and look at Xamarin in another year if its still around"

Honestly - I'm not happy about it. I'm part of a Xamarin team for a new product line within our company. And when I hear the bosses talking about how we may not be able to continue down this road due to a clear lack of deep-rooted support within Microsoft; it makes me nervous. I really don't want to see this current product-line scrapped and having to return to pure Windows-centric development. I don't feel its good for the company and not good for my continued value as a developer in the modern world.