xamarin.forms or xamarin.android/ios for these apps

a_ta_t USMember ✭✭

hi,
we recently was tasked with two apps
the first one is an Uber like app but for buses and trucks
the second is an ecommerce app like amazon

what is the best approach for them can i use xamarin.forms or the xamarin native would be the best one ?

Answers

• JimBennettJimBennett GBXamarin Team, Insider, University, Developer Group Leader ✭✭✭✭

Yes, I would use forms or native for these apps.

The answer really is depends - you can do a lot with Forms, but not everything. Check https://www.xamarin.com/forms, there is a nice comparison about half way down.

• RyanDixonRyanDixon USMember ✭✭✭

It honestly depends on how complicated you want your user interface to be. If you're new to the platform then forms will get you up and started faster, however you will hit a brick wall when you have to get into custom renderers and views for the complicated parts of your application.

Here are some guidelines off the top of my head

Forms:
    1. Ideal for new users
    2. Ideal for simple user interfaces with little configuration
    3. Ideal for when platform expansion is a consideration (UWP, MacOS, etc)
    4. Ideal for shorter deadlines

Native
    1. Ideal when performance is a consideration
    2. Ideal when the layout may differ greatly to make use of platform specific features

Just remember
    a) There Is nothing you can't do in forms which you can do in native. It just gets VERY complicated, VERY fast due to the renderers needed.

b) Soon you will be able to use forms in native code anyway, meaning starting a native app now means you have the opinion to use forms for parts of it in the future

in my opinion, give both a go and go with your gut feeling.

• GVxGVx USMember ✭✭✭

Don't use Xamarin Forms.... Unless your app just wants to display a couple of text labels and possibly an image.... and you don't want to use list boxes or have an app that has decent performance.... and you like long startup times for simple apps.... I would stay away from Xamarin.Forms....

Xamarin Android and iOS are great though.... Just not Forms.... unless maybe if it's an internal prototype..... even then as long as your boss doesn't expect an app that performs well.... :neutral:

• a_ta_t USMember ✭✭

thanks very much guys
    i'll give xamarin native a try and see the difference