LiveXAML - ability to develop your app in runtime

2»

• VovaKamishnikovVovaKamishnikov USMember ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017

Do you see anything peculiar in the Output window?

I didn't see anything unusual unfortunately
    But I will try it again

By the way, "_LiveXAML" suffix is not necessary in most cases now, since LiveXAML actually calls your constructor + Appearing/Disappearing events.

If the constructor has parameters LiveXAML calls the constructor with parameters ?

• MihhailMaslakovMihhailMaslakov USMember ✭✭

Nope, LiveXAML doesn't know anything about the supplied values. It will still call Appearing though.

edited October 2017

@MihhailMaslakov said:
    Nope, LiveXAML doesn't know anything about the supplied values. It will still call Appearing though.

Yes, I ran into this
    Is it possible, fill the new instance of xaml from the previous instance of xaml ?

• nikkilanikkila INMember

LiveXAML is a visible Studio extension. LiveXAML is a high-quality program!
    I really like it, in view that it works very well and better than the official tool.

@nikkila Thanks!

@VovaKamishnikov what exactly do you mean, can you give an example?

• IrrealIrreal RSUniversity ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017

@MihhailMaslakov
    When updating to the latest nuget package version, I get a compile error
    The "XamarinLiveTask" task was not given a value for the required parameter "DefineConstants"
    Inside LiveXAML.targets, line 32

Can you please take a look?
    I'm using .NET Standard 2.0 libraries with the latest XF stable nuget

I am able to manually fix the build by adding the mentioned DefineConstants parameter on that line and giving it a value.
    After that, everything goes back to working great.

@Irreal Are you sure you are using LiveXAML 1.3.3 package?

edited October 2017

@MihhailMaslakov
    Yes,

It works without issues when I downgrade to 1.2.75
    I think it started when you added a check to disable live xaml with a compile constant, right?

Anyways, I just discovered the strangest thing. Upon connecting to my OS X machine to do a deploy to iOS, it's now reverse. It does not compile with my "fix" but if I remove my "fix" then it compiles and runs.

Back to deploying to my android device from windows - and I have to apply my "fix"

O_o very strange.

Also, have you ever gotten iOS physical devices working?
    Mine never connects.
    Works perfectly on android devices and emulators, as well as the iOS simulator on mac

@Irreal This is weird. XamarinLiveTask doesn't have DefineConstants parameter since 1.3.2. Maybe you have different versions of LiveXAML installed in multiple projects?

It's very weird.

During the day today, I've had to either add or remove that parameter multiple times, regardless of deploying to android or iOS.

I have the same, latest version referenced in my projects, but I did have an older version inside the packages folder.
    I have deleted that old version from there and for now everything seems good.

Also, I am using a rather specific deployment strategy where I build portable libraries from one solution and reuse them in two other solutions each with their own android and iOS target apps.

And this is totally amazing, even after copying the dlls to another folder, referencing them from that folder, and compiling in 2 other outside apps, when I make changes in my original solution that houses the portable libraries, both running applications refresh and update, each with their own custom theming and customizations.

Your product is AMAZING and well worth the money. Keep up the AWESOME job.

@Irreal Thanks!

• CaseCase USMember ✭✭✭

Thank you so much for this software. I've tried them all and when I tested yours, I bought two perpetual licenses immediately (and have convinced a colleague to get a monthly).

One issue I've noticed is that if I change a ControlTemplete which I have defined in a ResourceDictionary, it won't reflect immediately. I have to shut down and restart my app. Any thoughts on getting that to work?

Thank you again for the incredibly useful software!

@Case Thank you very much!

As for Resource Dictionary stuff, you can follow this issue on GitHub: https://github.com/OYIon/LiveXAML/issues/21

Hopefully, I will be able to get to it soon.

edited October 2017

@Case said:
    One issue I've noticed is that if I change a ControlTemplete which I have defined in a ResourceDictionary, it won't reflect immediately. I have to shut down and restart my app. Any thoughts on getting that to work?

Until there is support for this built in, I have developed a nice approach to test out changes to the resource dictionary.

I created a xaml control which I call DebugHelperComponent (because it does other helpful debug stuff as well)
    and I made it such that after it is instantiated, it checks it's own Resources property for any defined resources.
    If it finds any, it either adds them to the main resource dictionary, or updates the value if that key already exists.

That way, I can just drop in something like
    <components:DebugHelperComponent>
    <components:DebugHelperComponent.Resources>
    <ResourceDictionary>
    <Color x:Key="MainThemeColor">#123456</Color>
    </ResourceDictionary>
    </components:DebugHelperComponent.Resources>
    </components:DebugHelperComponent>

And the resource dictionary gets updated when LiveXAML reloads the page.

I then also trigger a bit of code in my app which recreates the top most page, so that all the controls on it actually pull the new dictionary info.

This is awesome for quickly testing changes to resource dictionary values.

Once I'm happy with it, I just take the resources and paste them into my actual resource dict definitions file.

Just one another LiveXAML and SkiaSharp video

• sparspar Member ✭✭

Great peace of software, just purchased it. It works great on my emulator but not on my Samsung Note 8. It might work once then stops working. Any ideas why it would do that.

Hello @spar,

Thank you for the purchase! Make sure that your device is connected to the same network as a development PC. Also, do you see any messages in Output window with "XL:" prefix? If there is an issue with connection then LiveXAML should say something.

• sparspar Member ✭✭

Thank you for the very quick response, it seems to be working now for some reason. Again, well done on excellent software, I would love to know how you did it but understand that it is your livelihood.

• sparspar Member ✭✭

ok, now I am getting the following 2 messages:

[0:] XL: Listener received a message (1460)
    [0:] XL: Listener received a message (1070)

• sparspar Member ✭✭

As well as:

[0:] XL: Listener received a message (388)
    [0:] XL: Listener received a message (2144)

@spar These messages are normal. They just indicate the updates from Visual Studio.

The basic idea is to send updated XAML from Visual Studio to the application. The application then uses this to instantiate a new object with updated markup. There is much more going on under the surface, but that's the gist of it.

• While evaluating LiveXAML, one of the test cases I used was the SmartHotel360 application provided by Microsoft 'github.com/Microsoft/SmartHotel360'. Unfortunately, this showed an immediate flaw in LiveXAML where the reload of the LoginPage removes the rendering of the login buttons after any change. It is unclear why this occurs as the buttons used are not custom. Initial image: us.v-cdn.net/5019960/uploads/editor/ow/kj3cosfiv1ku.png Image after any change: us.v-cdn.net/5019960/uploads/editor/y0/w9wnb0ayo32g.png

@Spitafire, thank you for the report! Thanks to it I was able to find an issue in LiveXAML, and now it's fixed. You can try updating NuGet package to version 2.1.21.

The problem was {x:Reference SignButtons} saving the reference to an old instance of SignButtons And you couldn't see them since they have 0 opacity by default. In the new version, I make sure that updated resources and triggers are being synced correctly.

• Eduardo_HerreraEduardo_Herrera USMember ✭✭

hello, for a year, or buy the liveXAML product and I'm doing great so far thank you so much for saving me so much time,

Then 2 days ago I was working on a project add the liveXAML 2.2.41 package when I debug in xamarin.forms.android netstandart 2.0 load my splash screen and before loading the page I generated the following error: Position 2: 185. Type Runtime not found in xmlns clr-namespace: __ livexaml. about 2 weeks ago I was working on another project and I was going for luxury now for 2 days no project even the old ones are working on android, on iOS if everything is in order greetings ..

• Hello @Eduardo_Herrera

Sorry for not answering earlier. Do you still observe this problem?

• Hi @MihhailMaslakov,

I already managed to solve the problem, updating the Android SDK, on ​​the other hand what results with iOS if it worked perfectly but in android it generated the error after the update of the SDK and all the Android packages works perfectly

• @Eduardo_Herrera Did you turn off the linker in your Debug build? That might be the issue.

• @MihhailMaslakov
    Yes thank you already solve the problem working 100%

• Umar3xUmar3x FRMember ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

Hello @MihhailMaslakov This look amazing. We are starting a new project with prism ... We tried gorilla player, which is free and works nice (not always, for example I can't get it work "live" when using SkiaSharp or some others libraries). What's more in LiveXaml that we won't find in gorilla player (except the support that is obvious) for that €149 ? Thank you !

• BashRobsonBashRobson USMember

In Visual Studio 2017, I installed LiveXAML using nuget: Install-Package LiveXAML -Version 2.1.63.
    When I come to build the whold solution, there are errors in the Android project (the minified.cs file - .nuget\packages\livexaml\2.1.63\build\minified.cs):

1. Type or namespace definition, or end-of-file expected
    2. A namespace cannot directly contain members such as fields or methods

Please could you help?

• NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University mod

@BashRobson said:
    In Visual Studio 2017, I installed LiveXAML using nuget: Install-Package LiveXAML -Version 2.1.63.
    When I come to build the whold solution, there are errors in the Android project (the minified.cs file - .nuget\packages\livexaml\2.1.63\build\minified.cs):

1. Type or namespace definition, or end-of-file expected
    2. A namespace cannot directly contain members such as fields or methods

Please could you help?

Don't post here.

Ask on the appropriate forum, the developer is very helpful (assisted me many times with the product)

https://gitter.im/LiveXAML/Lobby

2»