LiveXAML - ability to develop your app in runtime

Hello,

I had already posted here about two months ago. At the time, the name of my product was "Xamarin Forms Live" But due to branding issues I had to rename it to LiveXAML, which to me is an even better name since it better reflects the functionality.

What is LiveXAML?

LiveXAML is a Visual Studio extension + NuGet package. After installing both, you will be able to develop your user interface while the application is running in the emulator. Note, that LiveXAML is not a previewer, which differs it from other UI development tools. LiveXAML actually updates your live application whenever you modify a XAML file.

Updating live application means that LiveXAML does not restrict you with library usage or anything else. Whatever you use in your app stays the same, which also means that LiveXAML doesn't require any configuration besides initial installation.

Project site: www.livexaml.com

• JulianPasqueJulianPasque USMember ✭✭✭

This looks great!
    Definitely going to try it out!

• LyndonHugheyLyndonHughey USUniversity ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017

I have to say that this is the most impressive product in this class IMO. I've run some test against my Prism PCL project and has no issue with base classes and reading static resources from styles. I thought I I trip it up by swapping out a svg file, but it rendered the change immediately!

I'm having problems getting it working on a Netstandard XF project. I've logged an issue for that. Keep up the good work.

• DavidDancyDavidDancy AUMember ✭✭✭✭

Just had a play with this and I'm blown away. It's everything that I have been hoping for and more besides - even updates ListView cells when you change them and re-displays their bound data. Very very impressive. Did I mention it's really fast too?

• JamesLaveryJamesLavery GBBeta, University ✭✭✭✭✭
    @MihhailMaslakov Looks impressive. Will it work on physical devices too like Gorilla Player?
  • MihhailMaslakovMihhailMaslakov USMember ✭✭

@LyndonHughey Thanks for posting the issues!

@JamesLavery With physical devices, it should work in most cases already. Just make sure your device is connected to the same network as your host PC.

• GiampaoloGabbaGiampaoloGabba USMember ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017

I already said this in the last post: this is a beautiful piece of software.

It works with everything (custom renderers, resources in app.xaml, every nuget package, ecc...) out of the box. No configurations, or even a line of code is needed to make it works.

I've been using it for a few months now and its saving me a TON of time. Its worth every penny.

@VovaKamishnikov Thank you!

• MarcoRinaldiMarcoRinaldi ITMember ✭✭

LiveXAML is a fantastic software!
    I really love it, because it works very well and better (really better!) than the official tool.

The developer is really fast to fix bug if you find a one.

Thanks for your work!
    This should became an official tool! :D

By the way, if there are any issues with installation or working process, you can either leave a comment in this thread or create an issue on github.

• LyndonHugheyLyndonHughey USUniversity ✭✭✭

@LyndonHughey said:
    I have to say that this is the most impressive product in this class IMO. I've run some test against my Prism PCL project and has no issue with base classes and reading static resources from styles. I thought I I trip it up by swapping out a svg file, but it rendered the change immediately!

I'm having problems getting it working on a Netstandard XF project. I've logged an issue for that. Keep up the good work.

Update: The issue that I had with the NetStandard XF project was a configuration error of my own doing. LiveXaml works with Netstandard projects.

• ValonKastratiValonKastrati USMember
    Just shut up and take my money already .... :)
    This piece of Software is absolutely amazing.
    The price is very cheap.
    Thanks for saving us a lot of time.

It's just sad that Microsoft/xamarin aren't able to deliver something like this. Xamarin Live player is just a joke and it's in beta forever. Forms previewer didn't even work once. We defenetly are going to use this at our company... Do you have a company license of some sort?
  • DanielBarrrosAmorimDanielBarrrosAmorim BRUniversity ✭✭

Hi @MihhailMaslakov
    I am trying to load it on VS for Mac on a PCL project but I am getting this error :

/Users/MOBRJ/Projects/Live/packages/LiveXAML.1.2.16/build/minified.cs(56,56): Error CS0121: The call is ambiguous between the following methods or properties: 'XamarinFormsLive.ReflectionExtensions.GetMethod(System.Type, string, bool, System.Type[])' and 'XamarinFormsLive.ReflectionExtensions.GetMethod(System.Type, string, bool, System.Type[])' (CS0121) (Live.iOS)

Any idea to solve?

Thanks!

@ValonKastrati Thank you for kind words! I can offer volume discounts for companies. Please contact me directly at [email protected] or PM me your email. I will fill you in with the details.

@DanielBarrrosAmorim You have probably installed LiveXAML in both PCL and platform project. Just uninstall it from a platform project and it should compile fine. I will try to make this experience better in the next release. VS for Windows already warns you if you have an unnecessary package installation.

• ValonKastratiValonKastrati USMember
    edited August 2017

@MihhailMaslakov ok thanks i will contact you regarding company licenses.

I'm getting a build error after installing extension and NuGet packages

The call is ambiguous between the following methods or properties: 'XamarinFormsLive.ReflectionExtensions.FindConstructor(System.Type, params System.Type[])' and 'XamarinFormsLive.ReflectionExtensions.FindConstructor(System.Type, params System.Type[])'    Tradn.Android   E:\_Development\_Mobile\_Tradn\tradn.app\packages\LiveXAML.1.2.16\build\minified.cs 250 Active

EDIT my bad I did install it on both projects...after removing it from Android the error disappeared

@ValonKastrati Yes, it's the same issue that I have described earlier. I will try to make this experience better with the new NuGet release that should come out today.

@LyndonHughey Thanks for the update!

I have published an updated NuGet package. It won't break the compilation if installed in a wrong project anymore. Plus, it will show a nice warning, explaining that LiveXAML shouldn't be installed in a platform project if it is a PCL configuration.

• ChaseFlorellChaseFlorell CAInsider, University mod

What a wonderful looking project (still getting it setup myself). Will this ever be able to run on Physical devices?

@ChaseFlorell LiveXAML should work on a device if it's connected to the same network as host PC. But I haven't tested it properly yet, so it's not official. I will report as soon as this functionality is done.

• TorbenKruseTorbenKruse DEMember ✭✭✭

impressive

• @VovaKamishnikov Basically, yes.
    @TorbenKruse Thanks!

• BobbyTablesBobbyTables GBMember ✭✭

+1 I am so impressed with this. Have been using it for a day so far and it has saved me a lot of time already.

• For people who need LiveXAML to work with a physical device, I have added a new connection method in version 1.2.35. Feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

• Ed_SEd_S NLMember ✭✭

Hey Mihhail, should this also make it possible for LiveXAML to work in a remote mac scenario? AFAIK the mac has to be in the same network as VS.

• It should work as long as it's on the same network, yes.

• LiveXAML 1.2.41 now calls the constructor and raises Appearing/Disappearing event on every update. So, if you had problems with page LiveXAML and page initialization, now it won't be an issue anymore.

• VovaKamishnikovVovaKamishnikov USMember ✭✭✭

I can't believe It works on real device!
    Just stunning

Hi Mihhail

Is it possible to run LiveXAML simultaneously on two simulators?
    It would be great to see the changes on 2 platforms at the same time

You said it's possible but I don't understand how to do that

• NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University mod

@MihhailMaslakov

We're very interested in this as an enterprise customer? can we debug on hardware attached to the PC but the devices are either on WiFi or on H?3G/4G and are not connected to the same domain as the development PC.

• @VovaKamishnikov It is possible, yes.

1) Start debugging on one simulator
    2-a) Without stopping the debugging session, manually launch the app on the second simulator
    2-b) Alternatively, detach from the first session without stopping the app and start debugging on the second simulator

@NMackay The devices and the host PC are on the different physical networks, right? Depending on the size of your organization I could create a custom solution for you. Hit me up on [email protected] or PM me your email, and I will contact you myself to discuss possible options.

• NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University mod

@MihhailMaslakov

I'll drop you an email.

Thanks.

edited September 2017

@MihhailMaslakov said:
    It is possible, yes.

It's just stunning
    No doubt LiveXAML is the new level of Xamarin Forms development.
    Is it possible on real devices ?

• Yes, it works on physical devices. There is a problem with iPhone device debugging at the moment, but it will be fixed tomorrow when I upload the next version.

• RenaudLaloireRenaudLaloire BEUniversity ✭✭

@MihhailMaslakov big huge congratz ! This works like a charm ... Even though I had a little bug while loading XAML from separate files, I contacted you and you fixed within the next 2 hours !

Impressive !

Thank you, @RenaudLaloire!

edited October 2017

@MihhailMaslakov you did mention that

LiveXAML 1.2.33 - You can now run custom initialization code after the update. Every method ending with "LiveXaml" will ?>be called.

I try to do this but method isn't called

I'm sorry, it is working now

• Nadjib_BaitNadjib_Bait DZMember ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017

Congratulations Mihhail, that's what I call a solid piece of software. Can't believe you made a clearly superior product than Xamarin/MSFT itself...

@MigueldeIcaza @TheRealJasonSmith @DavidOrtinau you should buy it and replace your Live Player with this...

@VovaKamishnikov Is it possible to run LiveXAML simultaneously on two simulators?

@MihhailMaslakov It is possible, yes.

Are there any limitations to the number of simultaneously connected devices ?
    When I connected 6 simulators and 2 devices LiveXAML stopped working

edited October 2017

@VovaKamishnikov there shouldn't be. But frankly, I haven't tried it.

Do you see anything peculiar in the Output window?

By the way, "_LiveXAML" suffix is not necessary in most cases now, since LiveXAML actually calls your constructor + Appearing/Disappearing events.