Frustrated.. Upgraded to latest VS and now I cannot deploy to iOS simulator

I'm frustrated... Did the upgrade and as usual Xamarin just seems to break... Have not had a chance to read the forums yet but I am sure there is a 'fix' somewhere for my problem... Upgraded both VS 2017 and VS on the Mac...

Compile my code, F5 to run on the iOS Simulator... VS goes into debugger mode as if it is about to run something but nothing appears on the iOS simulator.... No error messages, no messages at all actually...

Xamarin just cannot ever get a release right can they.... always so dissapointed... but as i say just venting, and will now search the web to find the fix...

• GVxGVx USMember ✭✭✭

Update... oh there is an error.... iOS Simulator - "A fatal error occurred while trying to start the server."

Tells me exactly what went wrong and how to fix things..... Ok, I promise, no more venting..... :neutral:

• prashantvcprashantvc USXamarin Team Xamurai

@GVx

Sorry that your running into these issues

Please attach the following to help us reproduce this issue:

• Detailed reproduction steps
    • Version information (Help → About Microsoft Visual Studio → Copy Info)
    • Logs (Help → Xamarin → Zip Logs
  • GVxGVx USMember ✭✭✭

Thanks for the reply.. It appears that the upgrade automatically re-enabled the checkbox to run the iOS Windows Simulator as I use Enterprise....

Switching it to off it is now deploying ok to the simulator on the Mac so all is good...

The iOS Windows Simulator used to be good but doesn't work anymore, and hasnt for many months.. I think cos it is now Enterprise only then nobody is using it and hence nobody cares and it will never get fixed... that's a shame but not a blocking issue..

• GuyLemireGuyLemire USMember ✭✭

I am having the same issue, everything worked great until yesterday when it seems that the latest vs2017 update 15.4.1 somehow started without me accepting it and forced me to update in order for me to open vs, I have updated everything on the Mac and I can build but I cannot run the IOS Simulator on windows. I often work remotely and I need to be able to run the simulator on windows. I would need to know how to fix the issue, any help on getting this working would be great.

• ShantimohanElchuriShantimohanElchuri USMember ✭✭✭✭

@GuyLemire said:
    I am having the same issue, everything worked great until yesterday when it seems that the latest vs2017 update 15.4.1 somehow started without me accepting it and forced me to update in order for me to open vs, I have updated everything on the Mac and I can build but I cannot run the IOS Simulator on windows. I often work remotely and I need to be able to run the simulator on windows. I would need to know how to fix the issue, any help on getting this working would be great.

Sorry, but when you say '...updated everything on the Mac...', it doesn't give a clue on what you missed. So just for confirmation have you,

1. Updated Xcode on Mac recently?
    2. If you have updated Xcode recently, then did you run it once on Mac to install the mobile components?
    3. Is Xamarin.iOS version (at least major & minor versions) same on both Mac & Windows?/li>

For me, after recent updates to MacOS, Xcode and VS on both Mac & Windows, I too had issues like the Mac Agent disconnecting mid-way, long boot times for iOS simulators etc. At present till day before I could run iPhone 6, 8 & X simulators in both Mac and Windows (remotely) but not iPhone 7 ones. I am yet to get Creators update on Windows 10. Just preparing my mind for whole lot of issues once I get it.

Hi @ShantimohanElchuri ,
    When I said I updated everything I meant everything,
    XCode and it is running,
    Xamarin IOS - Always the first thing I do when updating VS
    I use Visual Studio for Mac and use the update feature there, I made sure there were no OSX updates, the entire system is up to date.

I forgot to mention, the Mac Agent does not disconnect, and I am able to see devices connected to the mac, but not able to debug

@GuyLemire said:
    I forgot to mention, the Mac Agent does not disconnect, and I am able to see devices connected to the mac, but not able to debug

Just yesterday I was debugging some Azure IoT services. The build keeps failing without displaying any error. Actually later I noticed that the error is flashed in Output window but the Output window itself not brought up during the build phase. May it is happening to you too. Just another place to check.

There are no errors during the build, the output window just displays:
    Launching 'Tracking.iOS' on 'iPhone 5 iOS 10.1'...
    and a bunch of Loaded assembly then I can only see the error A fatal error occurred while trying to start the server in the simulator window

I don't know why this would have fixed it, and I still can't understand what the error was and how to prevent it, if I am working remotely I would need to find a way to fix this.
    Reboot the Mac, login
    Reboot the Windows machine and login
    Open VS as administrator and it works.

@GuyLemire said:
    I don't know why this would have fixed it, and I still can't understand what the error was and how to prevent it, if I am working remotely I would need to find a way to fix this.
    Reboot the Mac, login
    Reboot the Windows machine and login

That's great. I can understand about rebooting both machines. But I don't get why you need to run VS in Admin mode.

Anyway, you got it working...

• GVxGVx USMember ✭✭✭

@GuyLemire said:

Hmmmm I wonder if this is my problem... As I havn't had the iOS Simulator work for months now so abandoned it a long time ago....

@GVx I would give it a try, I was always told that if the Xamarin.IOS was not the same version and if the XCode was not up to date that it would not work. No harm in giving it a try, let me know how it goes.
    Guy

• AndrewBaresAndrewBares USMember

I'm running into the same error. This started happening without any updates to Visual Studio nor VS for Mac. Today the simulator stopped running with that "A fatal error occurred while trying to start the server" error.

Deploying to the phone also seems to fail.

Rebooting devices and running VS in Admin mode didn't fix anything.

VS Info (logs are attached)
    Microsoft Visual Studio Enterprise 2017
    Version 15.4.1
    VisualStudio.15.Release/15.4.1+27004.2005
    Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version 4.7.02046

Installed Version: Enterprise

Visual Basic 2017 00369-60000-00001-AA746
    Microsoft Visual Basic 2017

Visual C# 2017 00369-60000-00001-AA746
    Microsoft Visual C# 2017

Visual C++ 2017 00369-60000-00001-AA746
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2017

Visual F# 4.1 00369-60000-00001-AA746
    Microsoft Visual F# 4.1

Application Insights Tools for Visual Studio Package 8.9.00809.2
    Application Insights Tools for Visual Studio

ASP.NET and Web Tools 2017 15.0.30925.0
    ASP.NET and Web Tools 2017

ASP.NET Core Razor Language Services 1.0
    Provides languages services for ASP.NET Core Razor.

ASP.NET Web Frameworks and Tools 2017 5.2.50921.0

Azure App Service Tools v3.0.0 15.0.30915.0
    Azure App Service Tools v3.0.0

Azure Data Lake Node 1.0
    This package contains the Data Lake integration nodes for Server Explorer.

Azure Data Lake Tools for Visual Studio 2.2.9000.1
    Microsoft Azure Data Lake Tools for Visual Studio

Azure Data Lake Tools for Visual Studio 2.2.9000.1
    Microsoft Azure Data Lake Tools for Visual Studio

Common Azure Tools 1.10
    Provides common services for use by Azure Mobile Services and Microsoft Azure Tools.

Fabric.DiagnosticEvents 1.0
    Fabric Diagnostic Events

JavaScript Language Service 2.0
    JavaScript Language Service

JavaScript Project System 2.0
    JavaScript Project System

JavaScript UWP Project System 2.0
    JavaScript UWP Project System

Merq 1.1.17-rc (cba4571)
    Command Bus, Event Stream and Async Manager for Visual Studio extensions.

Microsoft Azure HDInsight Azure Node 2.2.9000.1
    HDInsight Node under Azure Node

Microsoft Azure Hive Query Language Service 2.2.9000.1
    Language service for Hive query

Microsoft Azure Service Fabric Tools for Visual Studio 1.8
    Microsoft Azure Service Fabric Tools for Visual Studio

Microsoft Azure Stream Analytics Language Service 2.2.9000.1
    Language service for Azure Stream Analytics

Microsoft Azure Stream Analytics Node 1.0
    Azure Stream Analytics Node under Azure Node

Microsoft Azure Tools 2.9
    Microsoft Azure Tools for Microsoft Visual Studio 2017 - v2.9.50719.1

Microsoft Continuous Delivery Tools for Visual Studio 0.3
    Simplifying the configuration of continuous build integration and continuous build delivery from within the Visual Studio IDE.

Microsoft JVM Debugger 1.0
    Provides support for connecting the Visual Studio debugger to JDWP compatible Java Virtual Machines

Microsoft MI-Based Debugger 1.0
    Provides support for connecting Visual Studio to MI compatible debuggers

Microsoft Visual C++ Wizards 1.0
    Microsoft Visual C++ Wizards

Microsoft Visual Studio VC Package 1.0
    Microsoft Visual Studio VC Package

Mono Debugging for Visual Studio 4.7.4-pre (c2d89eb)
    Support for debugging Mono processes with Visual Studio.

Multilingual App Toolkit 4.0
    Multilingual App Toolkit helps you localize your Windows Store app by providing file management, pseudo and machine translation, translation editor, and build integration.

NuGet Package Manager 4.4.0
    NuGet Package Manager in Visual Studio.

SQL Server Data Tools 15.1.61707.200
    Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools

ToolWindowHostedEditor 1.0
    Hosting json editor into a tool window

TypeScript 2.3.5.0
    TypeScript tools for Visual Studio

Visual Studio Code Debug Adapter Host Package 1.0
    Interop layer for hosting Visual Studio Code debug adapters in Visual Studio

Visual Studio Tools for Universal Windows Apps 15.0.27004.2002
    The Visual Studio Tools for Universal Windows apps allow you to build a single universal app experience that can reach every device running Windows 10: phone, tablet, PC, and more. It includes the Microsoft Windows 10 Software Development Kit.

VisualStudio.IoT 1.0
    Package with IoT components for Visual Studio

VisualStudio.Mac 1.0
    Mac Extension for Visual Studio

WebJobs Tools v1.0.0 15.0.30915.0
    WebJobs Tools v1.0.0

Xamarin 4.7.10.22 (fe36bec)
    Visual Studio extension to enable development for Xamarin.iOS and Xamarin.Android.

Xamarin.Android SDK 8.0.0.33 (HEAD/7a6a056e8)
    Xamarin.Android Reference Assemblies and MSBuild support.

Xamarin.iOS and Xamarin.Mac SDK 11.2.0.8 (9a9f054)
    Xamarin.iOS and Xamarin.Mac Reference Assemblies and MSBuild support.