Forum Visual Studio

Visual Studio 2013 issue: upgrade to 4.6.0.297: no "Xamarin for Visual Studio 2013" option available

ElijahLofgrenElijahLofgren USMember
edited August 2017 in Visual Studio

I am unable to open my Xamarin projects after upgrading to Xamarin 4.6.0.297 today. I tried to follow "Possible Fix 1: Change the installation to make sure the Visual Studio extensions are installed" on https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/cross-platform/windows/visual-studio/troubleshooting/missing-vs-extensions/ but there is no option for Xamarin for Visual Studio 2013 anymore:

Does Xamarin still support VS 2013 in the latest update?

I am using VS 2013 on Windows 10.

Edit: Here's a snippet from the install log in case that helps:
[2017-08-22 16:17:08.944] [Debug] Detecting software item 'Xamarin'
[2017-08-22 16:17:08.945] [Debug] Extension Xamarin file dnssd.dll not found in VS 2013
[2017-08-22 16:17:08.945] [Info] Status: successful
[2017-08-22 16:17:08.946] [Info] Component 'Xamarin' v. 4.6.0 present
[2017-08-22 16:17:08.946] [Info] Software item 'Xamarin': up to date

Edit 2:
I tried to install the Universal Xamarin.Android Installer from http://store.xamarin.com/account/my/subscription/downloads and I get:

I've attached the full install log.

Also here is a screenshot of Visual Studio Help => About:

Best Answer

Answers

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

Out of personal curiosity... Why such an old version of VS? Why not update to a version not 5 years old?

• ElijahLofgrenElijahLofgren USMember

@ClintStLaurent said:
    Out of personal curiosity... Why such an old version of VS? Why not update to a version not 5 years old?

So far my company hasn't found a compelling reason to upgrade Visual Studio yet (maybe this will be the one!) and yet we're too large to quality for the "Small Teams" option to use VS 2017 for free. However, I'll definitely look into upgrading if I can't get VS 2013 working reliably again.

edited August 2017

I get that. But by the same token your question really boils down to "Why is software half-a-decade out of date not supported by the latest updates?" It really shouldn't be that surprising that you're going to run into issues.

Like you said... Maybe this could be the motivation for the bosses to stick a crow-bar in their wallets.

@ClintStLaurent said:
    I get that. But by the same token your question really boils down to "Why is software half-a-decade out of date not supported by the latest updates?" It really shouldn't be that surprising that you're going to run into issues.

Like you said... Maybe this could be the motivation for the bosses to stick a crow-bar in their wallets.

Understood. Obviously if the upgrade decision was up to me, I'd make it in a heartbeat. :)

I guess my real question is, is the statement "Xamarin is available in the following editions of Visual Studio
    Non-express editions of Visual Studio 2013 Update 2" on https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/cross-platform/windows/visual-studio/ still valid?

@DavidOrtinau Maybe you could chime in on this? Is this spec on the Xamarin site still valid? The new installer seems to no longer include it.

edited August 2017 Accepted Answer

I followed the "Possible Fix 3: Try a fresh reinstall of Xamarin" step on https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/cross-platform/windows/visual-studio/troubleshooting/missing-vs-extensions/ and lo and behold upon a fresh install the 2013 option was back:

The install has finished and I'm up and running again:

This thread can be documentation that the fix for the upgrade issue I experienced on 2013 is a fresh install. Thanks!

Edit: It is interesting to note that the version installed is now 4.5.0.476 so perhaps I need to start ignoring the upgrade prompts: