Forum Xamarin.iOS

Running post-build operation on assemblies in bundle

Hello,

I'd like to run an obfuscation step (using ConfuserEx) on my .NET assemblies before/after they are placed into the .app package. Suppose I have two assemblies: A.dll (a portable class library) and MyApp.exe. I see that after building, both of these files are located in MyApp.app/Contents/MonoBundle. Can I just run a post-build step that calls the obfuscator on those files? Or is there something more subtle I need to do to make sure that the assemblies that get placed in the release bundle are obfuscated?

Answers

• ChrisHamonsChrisHamons USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

If you want to run operations post build pre-signing, use this sample as a guide:

https://github.com/xamarin/mac-samples/tree/master/UseMSBuildToCopyFilesToBundleExample

I believe if you do not use AOT on your assemblies then it should be relatively safe (never tested it but seems reasonable).

• TylerDennistonTylerDenniston USMember ✭✭

Thanks, this looks great. I don't think I can use AOT because I have the community edition of VS.

AOT (along with almost every single XM feature I can think of outside of profiling) is not restricted by license.

The IDE support is not great but you can read about AOT here:

https://medium.com/@donblas/ahead-of-time-compilation-with-xamarin-mac-ceb6fb1d0a3c

Here is the final feature commit:

https://github.com/xamarin/xamarin-macios/commit/ffe142d0b5af5f526b6889d7b899e0d3a82fab6d

but the command line argument is changed to:

--aot[=VALUE]          Specify assemblies that should be experimentally
                               AOT compiled
                               - none - No AOT (default)
                               - all - Every assembly in MonoBundle
                               - core - Xamarin.Mac, System, mscorlib
                               - sdk - Xamarin.Mac.dll and BCL assemblies
                               - |hybrid after option enables hybrid AOT which
                               allows IL stripping but is slower
                                - Individual files can be included for AOT via +
                               FileName.dll and excluded via -FileName.dll

Examples:
                                 --aot:all,-MyAssembly.dll
                                 --aot:core|hybrid,+MyOtherAssembly.dll,-
                               mscorlib.dll

That's great, thank you for clarifying! Is AOT still considered experimental? The flag was renamed but there is still the word "experimentally" in the usage docs you posted.

Not really, we haven't found any major issues, it is just noted that way because it is a new feature.

I'll make a note to remove that at some point.

Is there more documentation available somewhere on this? I'd like to know more about how it works. For example, I don't understand why I need both *.dll and *.dylib files in the MonoBundle -- it seems like you should only need the dylibs. Additionally, I ran with one of the examples given (--aot:core|hybrid,+MyLib.dll) and the build failed with this error: MMP : error MM0114: Hybrid AOT compilation requires all assemblies to be AOT compiled. This is probably just because I don't know what I'm doing.

Unfortunately not right now (beyond asking me). Adding full fledged documentation and IDE support has been on my backlog for awhile.

• If you want to take a peek "under the hood", the relevant code lives here (https://github.com/xamarin/xamarin-macios/blob/master/tools/mmp/aot.cs)
    • If you enable AOT after assemblies are copied in we invoke the mono compiler, asking it to AOT compile each assembly while resolving to only assemblies also found inside the MonoBundle.
    • This creates dylib files next to each managed assembly (.dll) with the generated code
    • However, the managed assembly is still needed. There are some things, such as generics, which AOT produces significantly worse/larger code than JIT. By keeping the managed assembly around, we can JIT just those things as we need.
    • If you desire the ability to remove the managed assemblies completely, the hybrid option "forces" the issue by AOTing even those parts. You will be slower in some corner cases though.
    • It was found out late in development that the hybrid option only provides reasonable results if you AOT all assemblies in question. Thus, core|hybrid,+MyLib.dll errors out.
    • The doc string is incorrect in suggesting this should work (also noted in https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=58934).
    • If you want to use hybrid try --aot:all|hybrid