HOWTO: Install older versions of Xamarin software

JeffreyStedfastJeffreyStedfast USXamarin Team Xamurai
edited November 2013 in Visual Studio

If, for whatever reason, you want to install an older version of Xamarin Studio, Xamarin.iOS, Xamarin.Android or Xamarin.Mac...

Go to https://store.xamarin.com/account/my/subscription/downloads, making sure to login, and you'll see a screen like the attached screenshot:

Under each product, there is a combo box for both Windows and Mac which each contain a list of older releases. Simply select one and your browser will begin the download.

Hope that helps,

Jeff

• RTRT USMember

This is great, but I can only see Xamarin Studio on my account page, there are no dropdown boxes for Xamarin.Android, Xamarin.iOS, or Xamarin Mac. How do we download these if they don't appear? I am on a trial, and am having all sorts of problems with the latest version of Xamarin.Android (4.10.1) on Visual Studio, and can't find how to install the previous version. So I am stuck. Help please.

• mhutchmhutch USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

@RT: older versions are only shown for customers who have purchased them. If you're having problems with your trial and need an older version I suggest you email support.

• AnilMathpatiAnilMathpati INMember ✭✭

I want to take trial of Xamarin and what I have is MacBook with 10.6.3 OS.
    Is there any way so that I can install Xamarin studio on it?

• JeffreyStedfastJeffreyStedfast USXamarin Team Xamurai
    edited December 2013

No, you need at least OS X 10.8 to even install a current version of Xcode in order to get the current iOS SDKs, so installing on 10.6.3 would be pointless.

Currently, Xamarin Studio (4.2) runs on OS X 10.7 and possibly as old as 10.6.8, but it has never been tested on anything older than 10.6.8 in the past 2 years of development.

(I was developing on 10.6.8 until about 6 months ago)

• BidBid INMember

I have downloaded XamarinInstaller.exe and tried to install xamarin IDE for Windows XP by double clicking it. A pop up window did come out and I clicked on Continue button thereon. Next nothing happened. I dont find it to be installed!! Please help.

• ConnorConnor USMember

Have you got any good solutions to the problem?

If you go to the URL I mention in my post above, you can download the individual installers. That might work better for you.

• sandeep.2569sandeep.2569 USMember

how to downlaod 4.0.12 version of xamarin.please give url of download.

You can download Xamarin Studio 4.0.12 from here: http://download.xamarin.com/studio/Mac/XamarinStudio-4.0.12-3.dmg

Why do you want to use such an old version?

• ROLisionROLision FRMember

It seems to show 5 or 6 latest version.
    I can't renew for now and the problem is I can't find anywhere the last iOS version I can download and install with my subscription.
    Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Hi @ROLision‌,

If you don't see a version in the Xamarin.iOS dropdown that you are looking for, you should probably send an email to [email protected] We keep an archive of all past releases, so the support team should be able to get you any past release that you desire - even if you aren't able to renew (I'm pretty sure that when you buy a Xamarin license for a product, that you are at least entitled to any release made during the time period you had a license).

Perhaps you can suggest to the support team that the web interface provide more options as well, for people in the same sort of situation that you are in.

Good luck and I hope my suggestion is helpful.

• ArturoSeguraArturoSegura MXMember

How I can download the version 4.10.01073 Xamarin.Android for Visual Studio 2010? Please give me a URL to download. Thanks for advance.

If you don't see the version you are looking for on the website, there's nothing I can do for you. You'll have to email [email protected] and ask.

• dooglidoogli ZAMember

What about specific builds in Alpha Channel? I'm having trouble seeing my Droid device from the XS IDE since 5.1 (build 462) on my iMac. Still working fine on the MacBook on 5.0.1 (build 3). Is it possible to select a specific build in Alpha channel? I'm rolling back to Stable channel on the iMac now to see whether this fixes it. My problem is I need Alpha channel in order to use mvvmcross via nuget. If rolling back fixes the problem I'll report it in the XS forum...

@doogli‌

I'm not sure what you are asking. If you don't want to run the 5.1 Alpha, you can switch back to the 5.0.1 stable version by simply switching to the Stable update channel.

• PaulKellyPaulKelly USMember ✭✭

I currently have an IOS Business plan and would like to start testing and using Android.
    Is there a way I can install the Free Starter Addition along side my Business edition so I can test Android?
    Or is there a way I can install different versions on the same MacBook?
    Thank you

• mhutchmhutch USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

@PaulKelly the Xamarin.Android installer and Xamarin.iOS installer are separate on Mac (though the main installer from xamarin.com downloads and installs both of them by default). If you install XA but don't have an XA license, it will behave as Starter. Your XI license won't affect XA at all.

• Armory09Armory09 USMember
    edited August 2014

hi sir, can u give me a link to the previous xamarin version 3.1, please.

• RaviBhavnaniRaviBhavnani USMember, University

@mhutch The title on XStudio 5.3 release notes page refers to XStudio 5.2.

developer.xamarin.com/releases/studio/xamarin.studio_5.3/xamarin.studio_5.3/

• MihaMarkicMihaMarkic SI ✭✭✭✭

It'd be nice to have an option to pick beta versions as well, not only stable ones.

• KeyzerSKeyzerS NOMember ✭✭

It seems i need to go all the way back to 3.3.47 to not get the datetime.now bugg (http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/25093/dst-daylightsavingtime-issue-for-datetime-now). This is not in the list (only goes back to 9th of september). How to get those easily? I have already mailed support, but not heard back.

• MB.5352MB.5352 USMember

Why do you want to use such an old version?

Because the "new" versions aren't any good. For instance, you removed "Deploy to Web" somewhere around 5.1. Every version after that is basically garbage for our needs.

• nick5454nick5454 USUniversity ✭✭

Where do we find the archived versions?

• BoscoBosco USUniversity ✭✭

On the Mac OS, you can install Xamarin.Android and Xamarin.iOS separately, allowing you to freeze the version of one platform while updating the other.

On Windows, it appears that one installer installs both Xamarin.Android and Xamarin.iOS, which means that if you want to update one, you have to update both (or if you want to downgrade one, you have to downgrade both). Is there a way around this on Windows?

@nick5454 You'll have to contact [email protected] and ask them for a specific version (they'll have links to the archives).

@Bosco I don't know. I think on Windows, the Visual Studio plugins are a combined plugin, so possibly not. You could ask [email protected] and they can get you a more definite answer.

• JunDuJunDu USMember ✭✭

I understand this is an old discussion thread, but it's the most relevant one.

We found the recent update to Xamarin 5.9.7 causes an issue with code signing. We need to rollback to an older version of Xamarin platform. Form my account's download page, I only see older versions of Xamarin Studio, but not the entire platform (no other components such as Xamarin.iOS or Xamarin.Android).

What we need is a complete platform installation package for a previous version. Where can I get it?

Thanks,
    Jun

• richardgrantrichardgrant USMember
    edited November 2015

I am looking for a version of xamerin supported by mac osx 10.6.8

@richardgrant Ouch. That is quite an old version.

Unfortunately I think you are out of luck. I'm sure we have some older versions of our products that will work on that version of OS X, but they won't do you much good because they'll only support really old versions of iOS and/or Android and at least in the case of iOS, you won't be able to submit to the App Store because Apple will only accept builds using the latest version of Xcode (which is also not supported on OS X 10.6.8).

• scotch83scotch83 BEMember

I think it is very incredible that it is not possible to find separated components of the Xamarin tools (like Xamarin Studio stand alone or Xamarin Android Player stand alone) for older versions.
    I am getting crazy trying to find the versions that I need, and I am starting to think that this is not possible.
    At our company we have had a problem with newer version which could not be fixed and we decided to stitch to an older version of the framework, the IDE and so on.
    Please make the fruition of such resources possible and easy to find.

• anisfreeanisfree DZMember

how i can install xamarin studio on windows without visual studio
    please reply

• I need to download the Xamarin 6.0.2 but I don't find it.
    Is it possible?

Go to https://store.xamarin.com, login, click on your name in the upper-right corner, select "Install" from the drop-down menu, and then you'll see each of our products. In the Xamarin Studio section, select the version you want.

• I was looking for Xamarin.iOS 9.4.0.0 and Xamarin.Droid 6.0.0.34 for OS X, does anyone know where I can find them?

They don't appear in the Downloads page, so I tried "guessing" their download links but had no success.

In case I have to contact support in order to obtain the download links, how can I do that? My subscription in indie.

• WilliamJockuschWilliamJockusch USMember ✭✭

The list for me ends at 6.0, but I need 5.10.3.

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited October 2016

See the knowledge base article on this topic for additional information about acquiring older versions:

https://kb.xamarin.com/customer/portal/articles/1699777-how-do-i-downgrade-to-an-older-version-

• srwsrw NOMember

Just a small thing--the version of Xamarin Studio for Windows listed today (May 20 2017) as latest is 6.3 at May 10 at this link:
    https://dl.xamarin.com/MonoDevelop/Windows/XamarinStudio-6.3.0.864.msi
    but that link refers to nothing. However the April 6 version also 6.3 does exist.

• ahmedmagdy.0465ahmedmagdy.0465 USMember

can it run in visual studio 2010 ?

• AlexNoutash.9771AlexNoutash.9771 CAUniversity

I need to install xamarin on osx 10.9.5 . I couldn't get any link listed above working. Any tip ?

• AlexNoutash.9771AlexNoutash.9771 CAUniversity

Forgot to mention, I paid for xamarin university do I need to purchase any license to use xamarin on osx 10.9.5 ?