Using Profiler standalone or with Xamarin Studio?

JosephMartinezJosephMartinez Joseph MartinezUSMember ✭✭

I am a small independent developer, and cannot afford VS Enterprise, but I really need to do some memory profiling on my Android app.

The Profiler website says, "The profiler is a separate process from the IDE, and so, in addition to launching from Visual Studio, it can be used as a standalone application to examine .exe and .mlpd files which have been produced from the mono log profiler."

Is there any information on how to actually do that?

I followed the "mono log profiler" link, and I don't understand what to do. It lists some commands, but I have no idea of where to type them in.

Another question: The Profiler website says that it also works with Xamarin Studio. I know that Xamarin Studio has been discontinued, but can I still use it to run the profiler? If so, where can I download the final version? The Xamarin website seems to only provide links to download Visual Studio.

Thanks,
Joe

• RodrigoMoyaRodrigoMoya Rodrigo Moya ESXamarin Team Xamurai

For desktop .exe profiling, just open the profiler and select the .exe you want to profile and just run it through the profiler.

For Android/iOS profiling, I'm afraid this needs IDE integration, which requires the VS Enterprise license.