Stable Channel (and VS 2017): 15.3 Feature Release

BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
edited August 14 in General

Please see https://releases.xamarin.com/stable-release-15-3/ for the details about this release, including the steps to update or downgrade as needed.

This release is now available as part of Visual Studio 2017 version 15.3 and in the Stable updater channels for Visual Studio 2017 for Mac and Xamarin Tools for Visual Studio 2015.

Bug reports wanted!

• Please file a quick bug report using the "15.3 Release" new bug form if you see any suspicious behavior in these versions that you wish to report.

• If you get any errors when using the form to submit, please select the All Products option and choose the desired product.
  • Comment in this forum thread if your question is not related to a suspicious behavior after download, but instead one of the following:

• You notice an error in the Release Blog post.
    • You have trouble downloading one of the installer packages.

Compatibility notes

• Xamarin Tools for Visual Studio version 4.6.0 and higher require Visual Studio 2015 or higher. See the last section of the release notes for additional information.

• ZmasterZmaster USMember ✭✭

I've updated to 15.3 today and, as usual, I'm experiencing issues and I need to rollback.
    How do I get the previous stable VSmac? I can only find links to Xamarin.iOS, Xamarin.Android, Xamarin.Mac and Xamarin Studio.

• ZmasterZmaster USMember ✭✭

Ok, for anyone willing to downgrade VSmac, I've guessed this link:
    https://dl.xamarin.com/VsMac/VisualStudioForMac-7.0.1.24.dmg

• KevinFordKevinFord USUniversity, Certified XTC Partners ✭✭✭
    edited August 15

The new MSBuild in the latest version of Mono broke Roslyn analyzers. For a brief shiny moment I had some build quality bliss, but curses foiled again. ;)

https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=58788

(Umm, sorry I just noted the please don't post problems here bit. Sorry. That's what I get for being a wise acre)

• ShaunPeusschersShaunPeusschers ZAMember

Hi Everyone, Thank you for the new release, I have been looking forward to it for a while. I want to use the Live player but cannot for the live of me get it working, was it released in stable?

• HarteexHarteex USMember ✭✭

@ShaunPeusschers said:
    I want to use the Live player but cannot for the live of me get it working, was it released in stable?

Nope, you have to switch to the alpha for that.
    From the release notes when this release was still in beta:

it does not include the Xamarin Live Player, Docker, Azure Functions, or Xamarin IoT preview features announced at Build. > Please stay on the Alpha channel if you wish to continue to preview those features.

• ShaunPeusschersShaunPeusschers ZAMember

Thx @Harteex, Does anyone know when it will be available in a stable release?

• MarcusRungeMarcusRunge DEMember ✭✭

No more iOS compilation possible!

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

No more iOS compilation possible!

One Xamarin.iOS linker issue that has bubbled for a number of users in this release is Bug 58789 about "MT0000" errors, which obscures obscures "real" linker errors. Bug 58813 is one example of what one of those secondary, "real" error looks like (for the Xamarin.Auth library in that case).

If you are indeed seeing an MT0000 error as in Bug 58789, the rough steps to try are:

1. Replace the mtouch.exe file on your Mac with the patched version from Bug 58789, Comment 4.

2. Repeat the failing build to see which particular library is causing the issue.

3. Delete any debug symbol files (*.mdb or *.pdb) that are present in the NuGet package directory for that library.

I will aim to add a few more details for the above steps in a post on releases.xamarin.com during the day tomorrow on August 17, but with a bit of luck these rough steps might already help get you up and running for some development work again.

This seems to be Fixing this error, but led straight to the next one:
    Error processing the method 'System.Void Xamarin.Auth.Account::.ctor(System.String,System.Collections.Generic.IDictionary`2<System.String,System.String>)' in the assembly 'Xamarin.Auth.dll': Value cannot be null. visoma_tickets_2.x.iOS C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Enterprise\MSBuild\Xamarin\iOS\Xamarin.iOS.Common.targets

• Stopped recognizing "??" for me with this release

Changing linker behavior to "Don't Link" fixed "Error processing the method 'System.Void Xamarin.Auth.Account::.ctor...".

• GVxGVx USMember ✭✭✭

I upgraded and could no longer run my iOS build on the Mac iOS Simulator..... Then I discovered a hidden popup on Windows with the following.... iOS Simulator - "A fatal error occurred while trying to start the server." .. Whatever that means...

I run Enterprise and it seems the update automatically ticks the Windows iOS Simulator checkbox.. Please disable this as the WIndows iOS Simulator has not worked for many months and as nobody uses it, as nobody has Enterprise, then please don't just automatically tick the checkbox on future updates....

thanks!

This discussion has been closed.