UITest Projects: Outdated documentation and templates?

tafftaff USMember ✭✭
edited August 9 in Xamarin Test Cloud

I'm just looking to build some UITest projects to cover the apps I'm building. I started following the official quickstarts but it fails at the first step. StartApp() fails with the following error:

Xamarin UITest Exception ApkFile or InstalledApp not configured

I can see from this post that I can work around this by hard-coding a path to the APK, switching to release mode, saying twelve hail-mary's etc. etc. but shouldn't this be reflected in the documentation?

Also, if I switch to release mode, it doesn't seem to produce an APK file?

Also, if I follow the above steps and hard code a path to the APK, what happens when I want to run the tests in the test cloud? Wont the paths be different?

Are there any plans to bring the documentation up to date and provide a working, end-to-end guide on getting a UI test project up and running?

Tagged:

• tafftaff USMember ✭✭

Nothing? nada? No plans at all?
    Are UI Tests dead then from a Xamarin perspective?

• ShantimohanElchuriShantimohanElchuri USMember ✭✭✭✭

@taff APK file is created only when you deploy to the emulator or device.

• tafftaff USMember ✭✭

OK, but where is this documented? If you follow all the guidance in the Xamarin Docs site you end up with a non-working solution and down a rabbit-hole of pain.
    Is this considered a first class citizen by the Xamarin team or a technology left to rot?

• tafftaff USMember ✭✭

Lack of comment from Xamarin here is startling. Do I take it that UI tests are headed the way of the dodo then?

• NuninzNuninz USMember ✭✭

Unfortunately this is the state of UI Tests in Xamarin. My tests aren't running for a couple of weeks now. Support? Forget about it, all you have is a couple of closed posts about "new features" and that's it.

• BradCunninghamBradCunningham USBeta, Developer Group Leader ✭✭

+1000

Totally surprised by the lack of investment in making this expierence work. It is totally broken out of the box on VS2017 and the workaround (setting APK path etc..) shows a lack of real world usage of these features.

I see some mention to running tests from IDE working under VS 2015 (I am currently downgrading to check).

There is documentation that says it should work from the IDE without setting the APK path
    https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/testcloud/uitest/working-with/running-tests-in-ide/

But this doesn't appear to be totally accurate. There seems to be some issue with an ENV var setting in the VS 2017 scenario that is causing problems

XTC_IDE named pipe
    https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/104674/apkfile-or-installedapp-has-not-been-configured