Forum Xamarin Test Cloud (Read Only)

Do I need the source code to execute Xamarin Test Recorder?

Hi all,

I'm new using Xamarin and before buying the license for using the Test Cloud I have this important question because depending of the result it will affect if finally I'll get the license or not. Also I'm interested to know if I need the project source code for using calabash-android and calabash-ios?

I have these questions because I need to do some app testing but I don't have the source code because I;m not the developer, only I can get the .apk and .ipa files.

Any feedback is welcome!

Thanks in advance,
famimaru

• Kent.GreenKent.Green USXamarin Team Xamurai
    edited August 2017

Thanks for reaching out!

You do not need the source code to execute tests using Test Recorder or to upload those tests to the Test Cloud. However, there are some limitations you should be aware of:

• APKs & IPAs must be provided from the developer. Apps from the app stores are encrypted in a way that Test Recorder is unable to interact with. (In fact, I think even manual UITests can't be written against these apps, but I don't remember for certain.)

• For an IPA, Test Recorder requires a valid development provisioning profile and signing identity that can sign the app. This is because Test Recorder will attempt to inject Calabash into the IPA (a requirement for testing); and must be able to resign the app on the local system. Alternatively, you could ask the developer working with the source code to send you a provisioned build that includes & starts Calabash; this setup would allow you to write tests for the app manually and run them if you have a device that is included in the provisioning the app was built with.

• Test Recorder is still in preview. As such, bugs & issues may be more common compared to working with the rest of the Test Cloud toolchain. Fixes may also be slower in being pushed out compared to the rest of the tools. However, you can still report Test Recorder issues to the Test Cloud support team for investigation by going to testcloud.xamarin.com and clicking on the "Support" link at the top right hand side of the window

Hope this helps!
    -Kent Green
    Customer Support

• famimarufamimaru IDMember

Yes, it's helping a lot and very clear your explanation!

• Kent.GreenKent.Green USXamarin Team Xamurai

I made a mistake, there was a detail I didn't know about. If Calabash is already in the app and started from the developer, then you can turn off Calabash injection here:

"Xamarin Test Recorder > Preferences > General"

However, you would still need to use a physical device included in the provisioning profile that the app was originally signed with.