Will Xamarin support the new Android Architecture Components?

BrianBirdBrianBird USUniversity ✭✭

Google has released a preview of their new Android Architecture Components that are intended to simplify the development and maintenance of Android apps. Does Xamarin plan to provide .NET versions (wrappers?) for these new APIs?

Answers

• FelipeSouzaLongoFelipeSouzaLongo USMember ✭✭

I am interested in the answer for this question as well :blush:

• GeorgiZGeorgiZ BGMember

Any news? I am also interested and I wonder if I can use these APIs in Xamarin Android.

• JimBennettJimBennett GBInsider, University, Developer Group Leader ✭✭✭✭
  • GeorgiZGeorgiZ BGMember

Wow, great! Thank you.

• CosminStirbuCosminStirbu ROMember ✭✭

Hi,

I am looking for the ViewModelProviders class in Xamarin.Android.Arch.* namespaces but I can't seem to find it.

It seems to me like it should be the preferred way of tying the C# ViewModel lifecycle to the Activity / Fragment's lifecycle.

Or how do you guys usually handle the ViewModel's lifecycle and the Activity / Fragment's lifecycle?

Thank you,
    Cosmin

• AdamVenturellaAdamVenturella USMember ✭✭

@CosminStirbu I think I am stalking you. Here and on the GH Issue page as well:

https://github.com/xamarin/AndroidSupportComponents/issues/76

I'd really like to see this get it's bindings.

• CosminStirbuCosminStirbu ROMember ✭✭

@AdamVenturella - I'm glad you also see value in leveraging the ViewModelLocator. So far I haven't seen a proper Xamarin example that takes care of the ViewModel's scope relative to the Activity / Fragment's lifecycle.

What we've done on previous Java Android projects was to leverage the Loader mechanism.

So until the bindings are made, I think you can also use that.

You can find a reference article here by Googleing presenter-surviving-orientation-changes-with-loaders (for some reason I don't have enough XP to include links in my forum posts .......)