Deployment failed because of an internal error: Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_UPDATE_INCOMPATIBLE]

JohnMurrayJohnMurray John MurrayGBMember

Has anyone any ideas on this - i can build but not debug - simply refuses to deplaoy with above error I have tried to build totally new app then add bits of this app one by one Even with all the support files and classes in and all references (but the Oncreate method is left to be just a simple button as per demo) this works So it does not seem to be a conflict with any reference I mean what update is incompatible with what ? I am completely stumped

help

• chrisntrchrisntr Chris Hardy GBForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

There's more information on this issue on our troubleshooting page here: http://docs.xamarin.com/guides/android/troubleshooting#11.installfailedupdateincompatible-when-installing-a-package hopefully this will give you some more information to resolve the problem.

• GerryHighGerryHigh Gerry High USMember, Beta ✭✭

FWIW I'm now getting this error on the alpha branch on OSX Mavericks. Same source/phone compiles/deploys fine from Xamarin Studio alpha on Windows 8.

I was able to get it to install (as explained here https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=12639)

• DavidReynoldsDavidReynolds David Reynolds USMember

I also got this same error but had a different reason. My package name was empty. According to Xamarin docs I should have gotten a different error but I got this one. To fix in Visual Studio 2012 (will be slightly different for other IDE's) right click on your Android project and select Properties. Select the Android Manifest tab and ensure you have a package name with a '.' in it. The dot is important or it will not work.

edited October 2013

FWIW this came up again today. I wound up having to do an

adb uninstall package-name

to get it to work.

Gerry

• EugeneBosikovEugeneBosikov Eugene Bosikov USMember

You have a the same application installed from Google store or from package that was prepared for deploy. Go to Settings->Apps select your application and uninstall. It will fix all your problems. After that you will able to run and debug your application from IDE.

• BenBishopBenBishop Ben Bishop USMember, Beta

To add to the knowledge base of this issue, I ran into a similar issue where I had a version installed from TestFlight. When I would do a build on my iMac from XS directly to the device, I'd get an error saying the install was incompatible. Reinstalling from TestFlight, and then uninstalling it, and then installing from XS worked.

With that said, I also ran into an issue where I had a build on my device that was generated by my iMac. When I tried to install a new build from my Macbook Pro via XS, I got the same incompatible install issue. I had to go back to my iMac, reinstall the app, uninstall it, and then try installing from my MBP.

Long story short, whenever switching machines or delivery mechanisms, always manually uninstall the previous version!

• ZacharyCardozaZacharyCardoza Zachary Cardoza USMember

Same issue for me. I uninstalled app, but some "ghost" files remained. Solution was to build APK and install from SD/Memory and then uninstall.