Working with Oracle DB

JoGJoG Jo GüATMember

Hello together, i'm starting to explore xamarin for my first app and i need to connect to an Oracle DB. I like to use it an Visual Studio C# Project.

How can i realize that in the easiest way?

br. Jo

• ChrisHonselaarChrisHonselaar Chris Honselaar NLBeta ✭✭✭

In theory it would be possible, by somehow binding the Oracle Android JDBC driver. But it seems to be fragile and badly supported. And in general it's not a really good practice.

The proper way to go about this would be to create a simple web service that connects to Oracle on the server side (through ADO.Net or however you would like to set that up), and then provides methods to your app to perform queries on the database.

This gives you better security, more reliability and is much easier to set up.

• JoGJoG Jo Gü ATMember

Ok, i like the ADO.NET approach, but where do i get this libraries, or are they part of the xamarin packages?

Again, you would use ADO.Net (or whatever you like) on the server side, just like you would from any regular ASP.Net application/web service.

This has nothing to do with Xamarin.

• JoGJoG Jo Gü ATMember

Oh, i see.

• JoGJoG Jo Gü ATMember

I searched a litte bit, but i didnt found any JDBC Driver that i can use in Visual Studio, does anyone know one and how this work?

For .Net applications, you would normally use ADO.Net drivers. For Oracle, you typically use ODP.Net.

JDBC drivers are for Java.