[Xamarin Blog] Xamarin Indie Now $25/Month

JosephHillJosephHill Joseph HillUSForum Administrator, Moderator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
edited August 1 in General

We are very excited to announce that we are now offering Xamarin Indie edition as a month-to-month subscription for just $25/month. As always, Xamarin Indie edition is available to companies with fewer than five employees.

At just $25 per month for iOS or Android, Xamarin Indie makes it incredibly easy to build and ship native mobile apps written in C#, with an extremely affordable price point accessible to anyone.

This offer is available as an experiment through August 31, 2014. We’ll decide whether to extend this offering to new customers depending on what happens in August, but if you sign up for a subscription in August, you can stay on a month-to-month plan as long as you like.

Go get yours today!

More details in the full article, Xamarin Indie Now $25/Month, on the Xamarin blog.

• RichardHopkinsRichardHopkins Richard Hopkins JPMember, University ✭✭✭

For developers who pay annually, are there any plans to give a small discount, e.g. 10%, for paying the whole year upfront. Many companies who offer lump-sum vs. monthly payments offer this kind of scheme.

• Danny_GloverDanny_Glover Daniel Glover IEMember

Awesome news! I just signed up to the monthly deal.

Thank you so much for making Xamarin more accessible to us Indie developers & small studios!

• AdamZucchiAdamZucchi Adam Zucchi USMember, University

In one of the FAQ's listed, the following is stated: You must purchase the same type of subscription for all platforms. For example, if you already have an annual subscription of Xamarin Indie iOS, you cannot add a month-to-month subscription of Xamarin Indie Android.

I'm currently on an annual Xamarin Indie iOS plan, and am very interested in moving to the Indie monthly subscription model. My annual iOS plan does not expire until November, so how can I take advantage of getting a monthly subscription to Xamarin Indie Android prior to my November renewal?

Thanks!

• GautamJainGautamJain Gautam Jain INMember

This is a great news indeed! Thanks for making it more affordable.

Hope you will keep this ON even after August 31st!

• MarianoContiMarianoConti Mariano Conti MXMember

Is this only for iOS and Android? I cannot select Mac for monthly, only annual.

• nalenbnalenb Bill Nalen USMember

I'm guessing it's for Xamarin Studio only? i.e. if I sign up for the monthly deal I won't be able to use the Visual Studio integration? I really, really want this piece. I'm trying to cut down on the number of languages, APIs and IDEs I need to be using.

Sorry, I didn't look first. I see the business edition monthly offering now. Thanks.

• KevinNewmanKevinNewman Kevin Newman USMember

Yearly is $299, and monthly is $25, $25 * 12 months = $300 - if you buy yearly, you get a savings of $1.00!!! :-)

Okay, I've looked over the pricing page and I'm confused. I'm getting ready to port an app I wrote natively for iOS and Android to Xamarin. Let's say I sign up now for $83 / month (I want vs.net integration) and spend 3 months converting my app. Now Xamarin decides their experiment didn't work. I now have to pay $2000 to keep developing? The FAQ says the monthly license ceases when I stop paying whereas I could buy the previous license once and continue using it without paying further.

I appreciate that I shouldn't be able to keep a license forever after paying just $83 x 3 in my example, but as a contract developer I need to have a better handle on future costs. The only reason I haven't paid the $2000 already is because I couldn't come up with justification for the cost right now based on the contract work I'm doing. $83 / month is much easier to absorb but not without knowing the downside if Xamarin decides to cancel the program.

• JamesMontemagnoJamesMontemagno James Montemagno USForum Administrator, Moderator, Xamarin Team, Developer Group Leader Xamurai

@nalenb monthly pricing is only for Xamarin Indie. As you can see on the store Business and Enterprise list the monthly cost that is bill annually.

• JosephHillJosephHill Joseph Hill USForum Administrator, Moderator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Hello Bill
    We're only doing this experiment with Xamarin Indie. Xamarin Business and Enterprise editions are only available as an annual subscription, and we do not foresee ever offering those as a monthly subscription. The monthly calculation is only shown in the store so that customers can compare pricing at the different tiers.

To answer your question in regard to monthly Indie subscribers, if you start a month-to-month Indie subscription in August, you can keep paying month-to-month, even if we do not extend the offer.

There are some more details about how all of this works in the FAQ at the end of the blog article.

Hope that helps
    Joseph

• NealCulinerNealCuliner Neal Culiner USMember, Beta

I would like to see:

1) Merge Indie and Business to a "Professional" subscription level just like VS 2013 Professional. Requiring Business for WCF, in which your WCF implementation is extremely limited at that is tough to swallow. It's a big jump in price for a minor feature gain. Or consider moving WCF into Indie. Ultimately, these two just need to be merged. 2) Minimize the number of tiers as there is so little differences at your lower levels and you're pricing is really limiting, even with this change, your developer community. Go for volume vs. price please 3) Introduce a universal subscription, i.e. not price per platform or $25/month/platform which I assume it is. Merge it into one affordable option possibly for mobile (iOS + Android) or Xam.Universal which is all three (iOS, Android, Mac). As you know Apple's tools are free and VS's are far more affordable with much more functionality, i.e. what VS Professional offers a developer.

All of this really doesn't affect me as I've been with Xamarin since the beginning, however, as I try to hire sub-contractors to help me which helps you the price of your tools is always the issue. I typically absorb these costs for them and pay the Xamarin bill which technically subs are supposed to come to the job with their tools but if I can't get them to pay this then we both lose. I can't afford to pay for them $999/year/platform/developer (sub) and with the limitations in Indie that doesn't work for me either as we use WCF extensively.

Please continue working hard to ensure your tools are in every developer's hands. I'm glad to see the effort but we're not there yet.

Okay, I guess I misread the pricing page. I guess I'll go back to the contract holders and see what they think.

• TrevorYoung.4938TrevorYoung.4938 Trevor Young USMember

So here are my questions:

1) So with an annual indie subscription if you let it expire you can still do builds (you just don't get new updates). With a monthly indie subscription if you let it expire you can't do builds. This I get completely and it makes sense. You can't have someone just pay $25 whenever they feel they need an upgrade. So here's my question. If you're on the monthly subscription for 12 months consecutively, you've paid the same as an annual subscription (except broken up into 12 easy payments). At this point would a monthly subscriber qualify to be able to continue to make builds if they stopped their subscription?

2) Indie annual can be upgraded to business annual and have the amount already paid subtracted off the price. Is there something similar for an upgrade from indie monthly to indie annual (or potentially even indie monthly to business annual)?

• BonnieBonnie Bonnie DeWitt USMember

Is that $25/month per platform and per developer? Or is it $25/month per platform (for all developers in the "fewer than 5 employee" company)?

• DaveHuntDaveHunt David Hunt USMember ✭✭✭

@Bonnie,

It's per platform, per developer. 3 developers = $75 per platform.

• BonnieBonnie Bonnie DeWitt USMember

Thanks for the clarification, @DaveHunt‌ .

• thylaxenethylaxene Jon Tiller AUMember

IMHO sorry this a isn't subscription like Adobe or Epic does (reasonable monthly outlay for access to ALL), this more like a payment plan really. When I read the blog title I went YES! $25 per month forever for ALL of Xamarin's Indie products. Not $25 per month per product, I might as well pay for the yearly subscription. I've let my yearly expire and haven't yet decided if I'm going to pick it up again. But for $25 (or even a bit more) per month forever for all platforms I would've got the CC out and signed up.

Please go back to drawing board if you are really going to offer monthly subscription, look at what other companies offer for their price and reconsider please. $50 per month for ALL Adobe products, $20 (+5%) per month for access to a complete game middleware that makes AAA games in the right hands.

Like the direction Xamarin is going but would like to see a braver attempt at a monthly subscription model please.

Cheers.

• GautamJainGautamJain Gautam Jain INMember

Just one question: Will I be able to build apps for Windows Phone (Xamarin Forms) just using the Indie license?

• EidandEidand Andrei Dragotoniu GBMember

It's a start, albeit a very anemic one.

Indie is a start however serious developers are going to stay with Visual Studio. Until that gets more available to the masses you still won't conquer the dot net world. Unfortunately, if Xamarin keep waiting, you guys will lose the war. Just to give you a heads up, Telerik is working on a javascript framework that can access ALL native functionality. And that's just one example. Personally, because of the high cost of Xamarin, i went another route for a big CRM I built. Instead of Xamarin, I used Kendo UI, with MVVM and the result was very good. All the code behind is C#, the project is a combination of KendoUI mobile, MVC and it runs everywhere, tested so far on Ipads, Android tables and windows tablets. The cost was much cheaper and there is only one codebase and one UI for everything. Oh and Telerik released Kendo UI Core which is free by the way.

Yes there are a few developers who are happy to pay the fees, however the vast majority are not. The number of developers you have is not increasing as much as you'd like and I wonder how many from those 600k are actually paying developers. I am willing to bet the percentage is not that high.

All in all it's a shame, because Xamarin could have been the answer and could have done so much better.

• FunbitFunbit Anton Volkov RUMember

People actually say smart things... if Visual Studio support is not going to be available in the Indie subscription in the near future (it should be there yesterday already) you may lose the cross platform war... In spite of the the rumors that "HTML5" can't substitute native user experience, latest solutions actually show that it can... And even though I like .NET platform so much I had to choose a "HTML5/JS" (rewriting all the code from the scratch) solution for my app just because I couldn't afford Business license which supports Visual Studio, which in its turn is the killer feature for me (and all C#.NET world, if you didn't notice already). PS. I would be happy if Xamarin finally gets purchased by the Microsoft and included in the Visual Studio, because it's more affordable...

• TrevorYoung.4938TrevorYoung.4938 Trevor Young USMember
    edited August 2

@GautamJain‌ The requirement for doing windows mobile apps is to have Visual Studio. If you want, it is feasible to have a project that you open in Xamarin Studio to work on Android and iOS, and then open in Visual Studio to work on Windows Phone. (This would allow you to use the indie license. I'm not completely sure how easy it would be to use Xamarin Forms for Windows in this situation, but I think that it's doable.) But the process is much simpler if you have Visual Studio integration and can do everything in one place. (This requires the business license. )

• Patrick_SchimmelPatrick_Schimmel Patrick Schimmel USMember

I don't see why this is an "extremely affordable" price. The monthly payment sums up to the same amount as the yearly subscription (actually 1,00$ more) which existed before. And it is still per platform and per developer. You should really consider to provide a better offer for small businesses. This could be a way to attract more customers for the business and enterprize plans.

• JoelFungJoelFung Joel Fung ATMember

Totally agree. I personally think that current prices are fine for companies or development teams that earn money developing stablished apps or creating new ones. However there are tons of hobby coders who just want to develope something for mobile devices that do not earn or get any huge income out of there licenses. For those there should be a different option or even better.... a free license for free app development only. Those who want to earn money should purchase other licenses instead.

• nodoidnodoid Paul Johnson GBMember, Beta ✭✭

@Patrick_Schimmel‌ - the affordability issue can be thought of like this. Say you're looking to try a new technology and are either on a limited budget or are part of a larger company who has never done this sort of thing, but has a fair amount of .NET (C#) knowledge. $25 per month for (say) 4 months is a heck of a lot more affordable than paying $300 and then not using the remaining $200 worth as it's not what you need after all. In that sense, "losing" $100 is more affordable than $300 and even better than shelling out for the business or enterprise versions which may not be what you're after.

For me, I use Xam.iOS and Xam.Android for around 16-18 hours a day 6 days a week, so it's a not going to be for me but for those wanting to try it and have greater idea of the power behind the system, $25 per month is a damned good deal.

@Eidand‌ - yes, telerik are offering their solution but it requires a few things; firstly knowing JS and secondly having the same base level of JS available on all devices. Remember, different versions of Android will ship with different versions of webkit (I am assuming they are going to use webkit rather than their own internal parser bound to the native system) and the versions of webkit on Android may or may not line up with iOS and whatever windows mobile uses. Free has it's uses and I have no doubt that as with phone gap or other such solutions, there will be those championing this, I would hazard that the level of support will not be the same as you get with Xamarin - which is what costs.

@Funbit‌ - cross platform war? There isn't one. MS aren't in competition with the Android or iOS area; they leave that to the experts in the field. Xamarin aren't in competition with MS - they work together on a quite a few things to ensure that .NET is used on as many devices as possible. It's in neither companies interest to move into the other companies domains, but in both companies interests to work together. HTML5 may be able to deliver some interesting things, but it is at the mercy of the browsers (pretty much the same issue as the telerik offering). As to offering the VS plugin with indie, never say never.

@GautamJain‌ - Xam.Forms is available from nuget, so should be available to use with VS. I've not seen anything anywhere that says that you can't use Xam.Forms on the indie licence

• FusionGamerFusionGamer Andrew Gibbs USMember
    edited August 3

@aruantec

My problem with Xamarin's new so called "affordable" plans is that they aren't affordable at all. They're the same price. What's even worse, is that I cannot take advantage of them because I'm an existing license user. Wow, seriously? What a way to fuck your existing customer base!

• nodoidnodoid Paul Johnson GBMember, Beta ✭✭

@FusionGamer‌ I don't see how this messes with the current customer base. If you're on starter, you can upgrade to the $25 per month indie version. If you're on business or enterprise, why would you want to downgrade? If you're wanting that badly to use the indie version, why not just contact Xamarin and ask to move your sub type?

• JoeProJoePro Joseph Miserendino CAMember

This is great news, although not for me. Good job guys, nice to see you're trying to cater to as many people as possible. But I can't believe all the negative comments in this thread. Every single time Xamarin announces something you people find something to complain about. It really does make you sound like a bunch of whiny self-entitled people.

• FunbitFunbit Anton Volkov RUMember

@nodoid Okay, maybe "war" word is too big, but what I meant is that, as you said: "MS and Xamarin are working to ensure that .NET is used on as many devices as possible", but it is not the case now. In order to achieve that, ideally, Xamarin tools should be free and maybe even open source, just like ASP.NET or Roslyn. Of course, while Xamarin is a separate company it may not be possible, we all understand that, but current pricing plan is not an option either. Obviously it was designed mosly for the Enterprise. Also, what is the point of paying separately per platform? For me it is as weird as somebody would be selling HTML5 framework per each browser available in the market, it kills the meaning of cross platforming isn't it? Anyway.. to summarize all said above, the pricing plans should be reconsidered at least in the following ways: [1] VS support should be included in ALL paid subscriptions (because VS is the place where C# programs are created) [2] Subscription price should be decreased to $20-$30 for ALL platforms for the Indie license and maybe $100 for ALL platforms for the Professional license. That would finally make sence for me and others (judging by the comments) allowing the Xamarin platform to compete with other technologies (and that is what I called the war). I really really hope that somebody will listen to our suggestions...

• PhilSeemanPhilSeeman Phil Seeman USMember

It was asked earlier in this thread but I haven't seen an answer: for people who currently have an Indie subscription (mine expires in September), is there a way we can switch to monthly when our subscription expires?

Also: how will you handle the case where someone uses the monthly Indie subscription for say 4 months, then stops, then comes back say 3 months later and wants to start up the monthly Indie again? (This latter question assumes of course that the decision is made to continue offering the monthly option.)