Announcing Xamarin 2.0

natnat Nat FriedmanUSForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

After 9 months of hard work, we are very proud to announce the release of Xamarin 2.0. This release is made up of several major features, including Xamarin Studio, support for building iOS apps in Visual Studio, and our brand new Xamarin Component Store.

Read all about the release in our Xamarin 2.0 announcement.

• OZcarZarateOZcarZarate Oscar Zarate USMember, Beta

Well done! Great Job!

• StevenElliottJrStevenElliottJr Steven Elliott Jr USMember

Awesomeness

This is so awesome I don't even know what to do! I live inside the .NET universe and have since 2004. My enterprise supports everything from WinForms, WPF, ASP.NET MVC 3/4, you name it. We've recently replaced our entire mobile workforce with both Android and iOS devices and writing apps for both has been a hot topic. Having to buy Macs for all the developers would be expensive but we would do it if need be.

Now we can use familiar tools with Visual Studio 2012 and still get to harness the power of that environment while leveraging existing C# skills for both Android and iOS. it seems like the future of .NET really does like within Xamarin and the Mono project. Awesome work everyone!

• halegahalega Stas Kalashnikov USMember

It's very, very cool! I'm impressed with the work you done. Congratulations!

• NicodePoelNicodePoel Nico de Poel NLMember

This is so incredible! I can't tell you how happy I am with this release. Just a few short weeks ago I was lamenting how the admission fees were too steep for a single hobbyist to publish a small simple app, and it feels like you read my mind. Xamarin is an amazing product that deserves to be used by more developers, and the new pricing scheme is just perfect. The Starter edition is great for someone like me to get a taste and do something useful without running any risks, while still being able to publish something in the end. The new Xamarin Studio also looks amazing.

In short: thank you thank you thank you! I can't wait to get started!

• ghuntleyghuntley Geoffrey Huntley AUMember
    edited February 2013

The following YouTube video summarizes exactly how I felt after reading the announcement:

VS2012 integration w/OSX build host. Oh yeah.

Pricing changes have positives and some potential major negatives - In my eyes the "pay money to get started" approach served as a nice filter against pathological customers/mechanism to balance signal to noise. The introduction of a free tier generates mixed feelings within. Please, please don't allow the inevitable eternal september that will follow to become a distraction.

Seen it happen it happen a few times - forums/support become overrun with noise and the companies were inadequately prepared staffing wise for the eternal september, with staff unable to keep up the resulting quality of product/support dropped considerably.

From a different perspective the introduction of a free their now makes the toolchain available to those whom could not possibly pay for it - students and countries with weaker purchasing power. (where $xxxUSD equates to x months/a years wage)

• AlanPogrebinschiAlanPogrebinschi Alan Pogrebinschi BRMember

Nice job! But is Xamarin Studio available for Linux? From the download page I can only see links to the Mac and Win versions.
    Tks.

• mhutchmhutch Michael Hutchinson USModerator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

@alanpog: Xamarin Studio is not available on Linux, however it's based on MonoDevelop 4.0, which does work on Linux. You can build MonoDevelop 4.0 from source or wait for your Linux distro to package it.

• JeremyBrownJeremyBrown Jeremy Brown USMember

After linking my account in Visual Studio I attempt to configure the build host and get the following error:

Please activate Xamarin.iOS before configuring your build host.

I've tried multiple times to do get this work, switching between my account and my boss's and my windows machine never shows up on the computers list. My two macs do, just not this one. I've attempted to follow the steps for the offline activation however the instructions only describe where to put the file on a windows machine, not where to get the system profile xml as needed for the Mac.

Any suggestions?

• JeremyBrownJeremyBrown Jeremy Brown USMember

Okay, just for anybody that happens to have the same issue that I mentioned above. You have to create a new iOS project then it will activate the license. After that I was able to go to Tools -> Options -> Xamarin -> iOS Settings and change the build host.

• rgelbrgelb Robert Gelb USMember, Beta

So when it says Indie Edition $299 per platform per year...does that mean that it will stop working after a year or the updates are free for a year?

• natnat Nat Friedman USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

@rgelb - it means one year of updates is included.

• mapo80mapo80 Matteo Polito IT

Hi, How many mac can be associated with each business license. I've two mac, one macbook and one iMac. Can I install xamarin.iOS on these mac with one license?

Also, I think that WCF and llvm compiler has to be included in Indie license.

Thanks.

The license is per developer. You can use a couple of machines, as long as it's only one developer using them.

• GregMunnGregMunn Shane Munn AUMember, Beta

Does the Xamarin Installer allow you to install Xamarin.Mac? On the downloads page, http://xamarin.com/download, it says that it includes Mac as well as iOS and Android but I'm given the opportunity to install it.

• ClockHeartClockHeart Sean White AUMember

I'm a student that within the next year will probably become a customer and so I have a couple of questions. Which parts of Xamarin Studio are open source and which ones aren't, you've already said that it's based on MonoDevelop 4 but which parts are different?? Also, is there plans for a linux version at all??

• IanMortonIanMorton Ian Morton USMember

Just installed Xamarin for a test. Seems strange that the Tasky first demo is too big for the Free version. What can you do any less than this?

How long is the trial and can I test this version with Visual Studio?

• NicWiseNicWise Nic Wise NZMember, Insider ✭✭✭

@alenpog

directhex: "Xamarin Studio" is MonoDevelop 4.0. Yes, it still runs on Linux. Yes it's still GTK+2 based. It looks ****ing sweet. http://t.co/JpkKIqUq7M

• rgelbrgelb Robert Gelb USMember, Beta

The FAQ talks about academic pricing. I am thinking of teaching a programming course at my kids' school next semester. What is academic pricing?

• nickNaylornickNaylor Jens-Uwe Rumstich DEMember
    edited February 2013

I have a question about pricing:

until now the price for an Android+iOS professional license was $600 ($400+$200) per developer, which contained basicly anything needed for professional development.

We are a very small app developing company with 2 developers, so the new business license seems to be the smallest possible now.

Your website says, that this business license is now $1800 per developer for Android+iOS, and with monoMac it costs even more. Did I something wrong or did you really triple the price compared to your old license scheme?

For us $1800 per developer is quite alot and I am not sure if we can afford it.

The Indie license is about the old price, but compared to the old professional license it has too many features stripped out to be useful even for a small development house like us :-(

Jens

• nickNaylornickNaylor Jens-Uwe Rumstich DEMember
    edited February 2013

@mhutch:
    is this monoDevelop4.0 on linux now able to load and edit Mono4Android and monoTouch projects, even without the monoDroid / monoTouch plugins, which are not available under linux?

@nickNaylor: no, loading and editing Xamarin.iOS and Xamarin.Android projects requires the Xamarin Studio addins, and is not supported under Linux.

• RudiRudi Rudi Ramey USMember

The previous versions of Mono(4Android/Touch) had free evaluations that allowed you to build projects using System.Data.SqlClient and WCF and deploy to emulator only. Is this still the case with Xamarin Studio and the new framework, or do you have to purchase the Business Edition for $1,000 to even be able to use them in your project and run in an emulator?

@Rudi: the simulator-only evaluation has been replaced by a 30 day trial with full access to all the features of Business edition, including running/debugging on the device.

• cavecave Christophe De Langhe BEMember
    edited February 2013

I am a big fan of Xamarin, and I was looking forward to the day Xamarin 2.0 was released ... but now I'm disappointed. The new features are awesome ... but I'm not happy at all with the new licensing policy !!!

I don't understand why I'm losing an activation on my Windows desktop while I can't do anything without an active license on my Mac to. For developing and testing you need the license on a Mac to run the simulator.
    I have been playing around with the new Xamarin 2.0 features (VS integration) and it looks awesome ... great stuff ... but not for that price.
    Before I paid $399 for two development machines (my iMac and my MBP). If I want to make use of the new VS integration it will cost me $1998 ??

I hope Xamarin will change the new policy ! It would be better to stay on two activations per seat, but not counting the activations on Windows. Even then the price raises from $399 to $999 ... but I can live with that because of all the new features !

Hi @cave, you're not losing an activation. Xamarin is licensed per-developer, not per-workstation. We'll give you as many activations as you need for your computers, as long as you are the only dev using them. Please email support@xamarin.com to get straightened out.

• cavecave Christophe De Langhe BEMember

Thanks for the answer Nat. In the meantime, reading the other threads, I also find out that we can renew subscriptions at the original renewal price. That's a good thing !

-- still a big fan --

• JulioGarciaJulioGarcia Julio Garcia USMember

Let me get this straight, so now instead of paying $500 a year will be paying $2000? Its too bad, I don't think we will be able to afford this. I have been using Monotouch since the Novel days, and know I have no idea what we are going to do, rewriting everything to Objective-C and Java is going to be very hard.

• RolfBjarneKvingeRolfBjarneKvinge Rolf Bjarne Kvinge USModerator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

@JulioGarcia:

From the Xamarin 2.0 FAQ:

I purchased MonoTouch or Mono for Android. What is my renewal price?

You may renew MonoTouch/Mono for Android at your original renewal pricing for existing developer subscriptions.

• JulioGarciaJulioGarcia Julio Garcia USMember

@rolf:
    I saw that but it is not clear if this is a one time offer only for the first renewal.

• RolfBjarneKvingeRolfBjarneKvinge Rolf Bjarne Kvinge USModerator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

@JulioGarcia: it's perpetual for existing customers, not a one time offer.