[Xamarin blog] Use iBeacons in Android with C#

MichaelBluesteinMichaelBluestein Michael BluesteinUSMember, Insider, University, Developer Group Leader ✭✭✭
edited February 2014 in Android

Read the full article: "Use iBeacons in Android with C#" on the Xamarin Blog.

Please use this thread to discuss or ask questions.

• AdanVega.6425AdanVega.6425 Adan Vega USMember

Can't wait to try this out. I really enjoyed working on the iOS post. I wonder if I can implement peer to peer communication like the iOS post?

• AshtonHobbsAshtonHobbs Ashton Hobbs USMember

Is it possible in the Android app to publish a beacon? I am looking at having both Android and iPhone publish beacons that other apps could use. The article specifically mentions using an iOS as the Beacon advertiser but can an Android device also advertise a beacon that iOS and Android can detect?

thanks.

• TomOpgenorthTomOpgenorth Tom Opgenorth CAMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

No - at this point in time it's not possible for an Android device to be an iBeacon.

• paulsandhampaulsandham paul sandham GBMember

Brilliant article and is exactly the starting point I need however within our app we need to discover a range of different I beacons, do I just pass null to the UUID for new Region() in order to discover any ?

• MichaelBluesteinMichaelBluestein Michael Bluestein USMember, Insider, University, Developer Group Leader ✭✭✭

Thanks Paul.

You can't see them on iOS without the UUID. On Android you can though. Radius Networks wrote a good blog post about this:

http://developer.radiusnetworks.com/2013/10/21/corebluetooth-doesnt-let-you-see-ibeacons.html

• nelbalnegnelbalneg nelbalneg USMember

i cant wait this one... yeah

• paulsandhampaulsandham paul sandham GBMember

Thanks Michael, within the app I am going to be writing I will have a range of ibeacons guids with content in some json which is stored in the app, I was going to search for any ibeacon in the vicinity , test against my list of guids and if close enough display the content, However it looks as though on the iphone I am going to have to test against each one individually and see if its present. If you have any further recommendations then please let me know.

• Derek.9568Derek.9568 Derek USMember

Are there any plans to release a Xamarin wrapper for the pro version of the library? : http://developer.radiusnetworks.com/ibeacon/android/pro/download.html - this makes implementing background scanning (amongst other things) easier.

• MichaelBluesteinMichaelBluestein Michael Bluestein USMember, Insider, University, Developer Group Leader ✭✭✭

I'll check with our components team.

• MarcPerniaMarcPernia Marc Pernia USMember

Any updates from the components team?

• KennethEgholmKennethEgholm Kenneth Egholm USMember

I'm also interested in this :)

• papasmurphpapasmurph Anders Borg SEMember

Will notifyEntryStateOnDisplay work on Android too somehow?

Thanks in advance.

• KeithRodrigueKeithRodrigue Keith Rodrigue USMember

Has there been any progress made on an Android or iOS device being able to transmit an iBeacon to an iBeacon receiver? If so, is there any samples in Xamarin on how to do this?

It wasn't possible for Android to act as a beacon at the time of the blog post's writing. I'm not sure if it's possible now though. << @JamesMontemagno

• JamesMontemagnoJamesMontemagno James Montemagno USForum Administrator, Moderator, Xamarin Team, Developer Group Leader Xamurai

iOS that is built in and I have some samples here: https://github.com/jamesmontemagno/iBeaconsEverywhere

For Android, there are new APIs built into Android 5.0 Lollipop, however I have not explored them yet for peripheral mode.